DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Carpentry and Woodworking > Do these under sink storage cabinets exist in the US?!

Old 01-12-2017, 10:50 PM  
Snoonyb
Liked 331 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It would have to be much narrower with cushions on all the sharp corners.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:30 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2736 Times on 2405 Posts
Likes Given: 4465

perhaps more simple

Click image for larger version

Name:	sink.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	13339  

Old 01-13-2017, 12:30 AM  
kirschenregen
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
You may have already found these, but for what it's worth, I googled 'pedestal sink cabinets':
https://www.amazon.com/pedestal-sink...rage%20cabinet
I did see those during my original search. I can't remember why exactly but I must have determined that they did not suit my needs. At least not the one that's within my budget. I can really only afford the $100 one. The others would probably be great except I think they're way too expensive.

I think my gripe with the cheaper one is that I couldn't figure out exactly what the back looked like as nobody had taken any in the reviews and it wasn't shown in the photos. But I'll reassess it as I can't find any others so they'll have to do.
And unfortunately I cannot afford anything custom built nor do I have the slightest experience or knowledge to build or alter my own.

Also, to those asking if me adding a cabinet would still be ADA compliant. Probably not but as Sparky stated, it doesn't matter while I'm in the unit. They just need the bathrooms like that for any and all future residents I suppose. It was very obnoxious since I only got 3 days notice and I was not anticipating spending a bunch of money on storage. I live in a tiny studio and already have very minimal storage space so them just yanking out 80% of my bathroom storage was highly inconvenient. They did this to ALL the studio's bathrooms too. I don't understand why they need every single studio to be ADA compliant and not just a few units but I'm not a building contractor.

Btw:
This is the sink in my bathroom. Maybe you guys can tell better than me if the cheap cabinet on Amazon will work for it.

I think I might just go with this one: https://www.amazon.com/EVIDECO-Stora...torage+cabinet

Thanks!

Last edited by kirschenregen; 01-13-2017 at 12:40 AM.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:05 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2736 Times on 2405 Posts
Likes Given: 4465

Can you get some measurement.
Front of sink to the back wall.
From the center of the sink to the wall on the right or the widest you would like to go if you have room on the left.
The height from the floor to what looks like where a bolt is in there.
We can see what we can find and even you can learn how to modify a box.
If we can find something at a box store you will likely be able to have them do a little cutting.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:33 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1324 Times on 1012 Posts
Likes Given: 702

The house we bought had only one area that was like new and that was the first floor bathroom and it was freshly remodeled and was a handicap ADA setup and we have a sink like that and a shower that has no curb. I took the arm rests off the toilet and stored them in the garage and built a curb 6” out of PVC that is bolted in. We don’t mind the seat or the dual showers in there so I left that. I really like this under sink idea and think I will build or modify something to do that same thing. My idea is if one of us ever needs a ADA setup it would only take an hour and we could be switched over. Until then it is a pretty normal setup. Even if I was building a new house I would consider having one ADA bathroom just in case you ever needed it.

I can see why a landlord might want to get all his apartments switched over at once.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:36 AM  
Snoonyb
Liked 331 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 1

"Buy a bag-n-box cabinet from a big box and a length of iron-on edge banding tape and make your own."

Placing the cab. there takes it out of ADA compliance, so you don't want it permanent.

These are a cheap cab. that are in a flat box and you put them together with a phillips screw driver, and you leave the back off, and the upper screw rail off until it's in place.

The drain and cushioning should be about 12" outside, from the wall and about 3" in circumference.

You might be able to rent a scroll saw and if you need any more help with the mechanics, we are here.

Last edited by Snoonyb; 01-13-2017 at 05:41 AM.