Entry door lock was drilled to open

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny186

Reaction score
I got locked out of my house recently and had to get the key slot drilled.

Here's a pic. Can I get just this one part replaced?

lock2.jpg

lock1.jpg

The core can be replaced inside the cylinder at a locksmith shop or just replace the whole thing.

I tried replacing the whole lock but whoever cut the door for the original doorknob cut an oblong hole due to the shape of the lock mechanism and the new handle with it's decorative plate won't cover the hole.

The door hardware was probably installed in the mid 80's - I just hope the lock cylinder isn't one of a million different kinds available.

My only other option is to fill the hole with some sort of strong wood filler and go with the new lock.

You can find tumbler sets for most old locks and most shops can re key to your key if needed.

Neal, can I find that at a typical big box store or a locksmith?

Neal, can I find that at a typical big box store or a locksmith?

I would think a lock smith would be a better chance. I have been near by when the police had the locksmith out to drill a lock and he had the replacement in his bag of tricks.

Look on the bolt plate and there should be the brand name of the lock.

Since the hole is drilled incorrectly, why not take this opportunity to correct that.

The boring being oblong and out of round can be corrected with the use of a MAG plate, found at any hdw. store.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm calling an online lock supplier to see if they have what I need. I measured the cylinder and it seems to match up with one I found online in terms of dimensions and appearance.

Snoonyb, thanks for the tip to find the manufacturer.

Same applies for those in the UK fyi. Go to a locksmith all day long.

Back