Inside Wall Stack Missing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So in the picture we can see the end of an electrical cable so some more work might be done with that. In the same picture we can see some very dirty insulation. That says some dirty air from the house has been leaking there and that wants to be stopped. You might find it easier to fix from upstairs or even working thru the duct from above and that way you might find ready made parts that you can make work.
I would think after you have something started down you want to fill all the gaps around the new duct work with a fire rated foam to stop all air leaks from the house to the attic.
Then you have other heat registers that should be tighten up too.
I know all this sound like ugly work and it probably is but warm moist air leaking into attic is food for mold it will certainly destroy a house but can be deadly for people too. And there will never be a better time to fix it than when you have things already under way.

It may be easier to replace the old pieces than to find new pieces that fit it.

Yep, I was concerned about the thing being very old or maybe custom made. But after looking in the attic, it seems to be a relative new installation and all the duct works work over there is covered with insulation, etc. It seems that the one in the pics measures 2 1/4 x 12". There is a similar situation at other end of the house (this house is a duplex, and I have done almost nothing at the other unit), but there it seems that it seems that the the is 3 /14 x 10"

thks!

So in the picture we can see the end of an electrical cable so some more work might be done with that. In the same picture we can see some very dirty insulation. That says some dirty air from the house has been leaking there and that wants to be stopped. You might find it easier to fix from upstairs or even working thru the duct from above and that way you might find ready made parts that you can make work.
I would think after you have something started down you want to fill all the gaps around the new duct work with a fire rated foam to stop all air leaks from the house to the attic.
Then you have other heat registers that should be tighten up too.
I know all this sound like ugly work and it probably is but warm moist air leaking into attic is food for mold it will certainly destroy a house but can be deadly for people too. And there will never be a better time to fix it than when you have things already under way.

I confess that I did not pay much attention to the fact that air is leaking from the house to the attic. I will address this issue with expandable foam insulation as you suggested. But most houses I have seen do not seem to have air tight sealed air connections with the hvac, so I would assume that most of the time there would air leaking to the attic which is probably more true during the winter with the low pressure zones created by the heat.

Apparently the attic has several layers of insulation that were added over time which makes difficult to find or track anything

The wire shown in the pic seems to be a phone wire.Apparenlty they did not care about affixing the wires anywhere.

We don't have heat in the attic but we do have ac up there. Our house are completely sealed with poly behind the drywall on exterior walls and sealing, they are so tight that they have a fan to extract air and a vent to allow air in.
We have special plastic wraps for light boxes and outlets, we seal every hole everywhere, But then we drill holes in the outside sheeting so the walls can breath to the outside.
You would have to be a fanatic to do that unless you were pulling insulation anyway, I would still attempt to block what I could anyway, what ever you trip over. Keeping moisture out of the attic is the game.;)

Back