Hello from New Jersey!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmfj9785

Reaction score
Hello all!
I have been shopping around for houses for the past few months. With my budget, it is difficult for me to get a move in ready house. Although it poses an obstacle I don't mind getting my hands dirty. I just have 0 experience behind home remodels! I joined to get some help. Whether its ballpark pricing, tool necessities or just a simple how to. So far I have come across about 5 homes I am thoroughly interested in however, something must be done (other than paint) in each one. I really hope I can get some help!
Thanks!
Jake

Hello fellow Jersyan, and welcome. There are plenty of guys who can & will help here. Pricing is hard because of regional differences, but the hands-on stuff is right on.

Welcome Jake.

There is great opportunity for you to get much more house for your buck if you are willing to do just what you described. Regionally prices will vary widely as SnS mentioned but there will still always be a separation by some percentage between the move in ready and the fixer upper. In some ways in the higher market areas you will do better in seeing a return in your efforts as materials don’t vary that much regionally and of course your labor is the same everyplace you go “free”.

Along with evaluating your skill sets and trying to figure out your limitations, be aware of the location of the homes and how different communities view DIY work. I know in the county I live in they are fairly easy going about people doing their own work. Everyone here will guide you as best they can and guide you to do things safe and to code.

Look for homes that are way low in their area based on comparable size homes that are move in ready. That way you can afford to fix them up build equity in your home without overpricing yourself, even if you never plan on selling it.

Also look for homes that are sound structurally. You don’t want to get a bargain only to find out you have foundation issues or need lots of framing replaced etc.

Many people have posted prospective homes in a thread and asked for advice on selection and pointing out the problems they find. With a house that needs work find someone you trust that knows about buildings to come along and look at them with you. Dad or Uncles are great at being a second set of eyes. Look past the old wallpaper and dirt and grime and look at the plumbing and insulation and wiring and such.

Good luck and looking forward to your posts.

Wow thanks for the warm welcome!!! I saw another jersyan here! What county? Also thanks all for the great advice I like getting my hands dirty so it should be exciting. Expect to see many questions! I look forward to the experience

Back