DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Appliance Discussion > contractor just installed dishwasher, water doesn't drain

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:21 PM  
merk
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default contractor just installed dishwasher, water doesn't drain

Hi all,

I just had a new fisher paykel dishdrawer washer installed (model DD24DCTX7).

Yesterday after they left i tested it and water came gushing out of the air gap/vent they installed in the top of the counter. Today they said they fixed it. I tested it and on the bright side, no water gushed out of the vent. The down side is no water seems to have left the dishwasher at all. I just ran it through a rinse cycle and there's a good pool of water in both drawers.

When i looked under the sink, i found they had completely unhooked everything from the vent - it's now just a countertop ornament. Instead there is a light grey hose and a black hose connected together with a Y shaped 'joiner'? that's connected to my garbage disposal. (see attached photo please)

So i have two questions:

1. What's the proper way this should be hooked up? Do i need that vent on the counter?

2. does anyone know if there's a way to get the washer to just drain the water without having to do another rinse cycle? aside from wasting water it's also annoying having to wait 10 minutes to test it.

Thanks

Old 01-05-2016, 10:28 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1422 Times on 1129 Posts
Likes Given: 407

Who did the install? Did you pay them before you checked to see if it works correctly?

Old 01-05-2016, 10:54 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 3053 Times on 2672 Posts
Likes Given: 5043

Is this a bosch dishwasher? Is this a replacement dishwasher or new, like you didn't have one before?

Old 01-05-2016, 10:56 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1422 Times on 1129 Posts
Likes Given: 407

Yep, I think it was Botched....
bud16415 Likes This 
Old 01-05-2016, 10:59 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 3053 Times on 2672 Posts
Likes Given: 5043

Last one I installed, someone forgot that the garberator was new and the plug was still in.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:13 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1161 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 1907

Can we assume that the DW is immediately to the left in the pix above? I think you have the double whammy of the hoses being too long and gravity working against them. It's been a long time since I installed my dishwasher, but I think the instructions said to run the hose just below the countertop and down to the drain. I wouldn't want to lose that storage space to a couple of poorly installed hoses anyway.
And if those guys come back to install it again, tell them I said they're idiots.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:22 PM  
havasu

Yep, loop the discharge hose (secure to bottom of the sink or countertop), and eliminate the air gap completely. Or do what I did, install a soap dispenser in place of the air gap.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:27 PM  
Snoonyb
Liked 472 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 1

[quote=merk;141061]Hi all,

I just had a new fisher paykel dishdrawer washer installed (model DD24DCTX7).

Yesterday after they left i tested it and water came gushing out of the air gap/vent they installed in the top of the counter. Today they said they fixed it. I tested it and on the bright side, no water gushed out of the vent. The down side is no water seems to have left the dishwasher at all. I just ran it through a rinse cycle and there's a good pool of water in both drawers.

When i looked under the sink, i found they had completely unhooked everything from the vent - it's now just a countertop ornament. Instead there is a light grey hose and a black hose connected together with a Y shaped 'joiner'? that's connected to my garbage disposal. (see attached photo please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merk View Post
So i have two questions:

1. What's the proper way this should be hooked up? Do i need that vent on the counter?
Most municipalities have adopted the "sink wart", the AIRGAP a code compliant requirement.

However, In this case, it was probably "connected" backwards, which is a symptom of the water flooding from it.

I say "however" because, is the disposal existing and was there a DW connected to it before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merk View Post
2. does anyone know if there's a way to get the washer to just drain the water without having to do another rinse cycle? aside from wasting water it's also annoying having to wait 10 minutes to test it.

Thanks

From the photo, it appears that you have a double FP so you should be able to drain the water, after its connected correctly by using the cancel/drain function.

The "Y" that is now connected to the disposal connects to the smaller, vertical, 5/8" AIRGAP tube and the larger, angled 7/8" connects to the disposal.

Are you pleased with all of the extra drain hose wandering aimlessly around the sink cabinet?

Last edited by Snoonyb; 01-05-2016 at 11:30 PM.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:24 AM  
merk
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

To answer some of the questions:

Yes, the DW is to the left of the photo - sorry i didn't make that clearer.
It's a fisher-paykel - i think i mentioned that in the original post along with the model # (DD24DCTX7).

This is a new DW - new kitchen actually. I think they actually re-used the garb disp i had previously, which is fine since it was only a few months old anyhow. It was not previously connected to a dishwasher.

So then if the 'wart' is required by code, then I basically need another hose then - the two existing hoses (the gray and black hoses connected to the garb disp in the photo) would get connected to the air gap and then the other hose would go from the airgap to the garb disp?

And please, don't get me started on this contractor. They are scam artists - at least the work is getting done so they aren't 100% scam artists, only about 80% scam artist.

If they don't have it fixed by tomorrow I'm just going to contact a local fisher-paykel dealer and see if they'll come out and do it and deduct that from what's still owed to the contractor.

Oh and i can't find any sort of cancel/drain function. The front of the unit has 3 buttons - on/off, pause/start and a lock button.

edit: they didnt remove the plug in the garbage disposal where the DW hooks up to it. Which would explain (i assume) why water gushed out of the air gap the first time. running the DW now to see if it drains. I'll have to get them to hook the drain lines up properly tomorrow - and to trim them shorter.

Last edited by merk; 01-06-2016 at 03:03 AM.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:26 AM  
KULTULZ
JACK of All Trades ~ MASTER of NONE

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 84

This install is completely against code (and common sense).

The DW drain(s) must be routed through either an air gap or hi-loop or it (dirty wash water) will not drain properly or even worse backflow into the DW. Having the discharge hoses just lying on the sink cabinet base will lead to having them filth and bacteria filled.

Read the instruction/install manual. If someone plumbed my DW in such a fashion, they would be asked to leave.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DW- High Loop _2 (No Air Gap).gif
Views:	130
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	10527