Adding Bathroom to adjacent room

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul45

Reaction score
Hello all, so my newest and most advanced home improvement endeavor is here.

We have two rooms next to each other, connect by a hallway. One has a very large bathroom and the other has no bathroom (although it's a bigger room).

www.img231.imageshack.us/img231/314/bathroom.png

I'd like to add a smaller bathroom to Room 2. The cool thing is that our house is on a raised foundation and the crawl space access is right outside Room 1. I'm thinking this is as straightforward as adding T's to the copper water supplies, drain pipes, and drain vents as far as plumbing is concerned, and then making two walls to close off the bathroom in Room 2? I'm considering paying a plumber for a days work to get the plumbing done, same with electrician. But I definitely want to do the framing and dry-walling myself (so i can learn this stuff). I watched this and this seems very straighforward: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VwXv3x_5k8]YouTube - how to frame a wall 16 inch on center[/ame]

Please give me some advice as for how to move forward. This forum has always been a great help. Another question is.. do I want to get a permit? Is it worth the hassle? we own the house and dont plan on selling for a while. Does permit increase the annaul tax? I'm in Torrance, CA. Thanks again all! looking forward to reading the advices.

Your image is not working anymore. Please fix and we can be of help.

Yes, yes and more yes, get a Permit. If not, and caught, it can lead to major fines etc...

If you don't get the permit and your work results in damage to the house not only can you get fined by an inspector your homeowners insurance won't cover the damage; get a permit!

Back