Unique House - Roofing Question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildrage

Reaction score
I recently bought a 6,000 sq foot Victorian home. I'm posting a picture below. Some characteristics of the house:

- 3 stories with 13 foot ceilings - roof is pretty high
- Pitch isn't ridiculous, but it's up there
- 5 different dormers
- 3 Chimneys, 5 bathroom vents
- Will take about 45 squares to do the roof

The roof is asphalt and 20-30 years old. There are no leaks, and for the most part, the shingles look good, except for some minor curling in a few of them, and a few patches that were put in over the years.

I got 2 estimates - $35,000 and $21,000 to replace the roof. I am in the coal region of NE PA....not exactly a very expensive market.

Is $21k completely ridiculous to do this roof, or is it in range? Also, my grandfather says I'm stupid for replacing a roof that isn't in terrible shape....am I right to replace a roof that is probably 30 years old, even if there aren't obvious signs of failure?

house.jpg

First off :welcome: to House Repair Talk!

This is where scope of work comes into play. Are they bidding the same shingles, flashings, ventilation, underlayment's, are they licensed, bonded and insured, have they given you proof of workers comp coverage? A blank certificate means absolutely nothing unless your name is on it and it's been sent from the INS company.

Signs of shingle failure are cupping shingles, patches, seems you're not rushing the issue, seems like you're there.

The difference between waiting just long enough and waiting too long to replace a roof could be as simple as one good rainstorm. What kind of roof is up there now? Asphalt shingles? 30 years is about the typical lifespan (for that time when the last roof was put on; 50 year shingles are normal now).
What kind of roof are you planning on? Are all the bids referencing the same manufacturer?
Congrats BTW; the house looks beautiful. And welcome to the forum.

Back