Advice on bucking sheathing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a pic of what I have. The holes are the venting that I have been adding.

That Smartvent product looks like it could be a great solution. My only concern would be it working (or not) in combination with all the holes I've drilled out in the eaves already

[EDIT] Never mind, I just found this on their site.

"Can SmartVent be installed even if there are perforated soffits already installed?

Yes. SmartVent can still be installed even with perforated soffits because you can really never have too much intake ventilation. The ridge vent is going to be your controlling factor so it will still suck air from both the SmartVent and the perforated soffits."
Sorry I got that wrong, I thoght you were drilling holes in plywood soffets which would hide all that, that 2x4 you have drilled is not usaully there when the soffet is covered.

Okay guys, the job is set for this week and it looks like rain showers on the tear off days.

What do you recommend? I'm thinking of tearing off one section at a time and tarping as I go and then putting down the felt for each section before moving to the next. Time-consuming pain in the butt, although it's the best I could come up with.

Recommendations?

Up here rain is always a problem, They just don't start when it's a rain storm, but they always just remove in sections and make that water tight before moving on, then when it does rain they just stop that process and start installing the new roof on the prepared areas, when the rain stops they go back to the first job.
We seldom see felt anymore, they have been using a dark colored wrap that looks like house wrap made for roofs.

Up here rain is always a problem, They just don't start when it's a rain storm, but they always just remove in sections and make that water tight before moving on, then when it does rain they just stop that process and start installing the new roof on the prepared areas, when the rain stops they go back to the first job.
We seldom see felt anymore, they have been using a dark colored wrap that looks like house wrap made for roofs.

Is it okay to put shingles on top of wet underlayment? What about putting underlayment on some decking that has become wet? Will it dry with proper ventilation under the sheets?

Is it okay to put shingles on top of wet underlayment? What about putting underlayment on some decking that has become wet? Will it dry with proper ventilation under the sheets?

They do it on new houses but they are all open and have lots of air to dry, this would be better answered by Oldog or another roofer.:)

We always try to roof over dry decking and dry underlayments. Sometimes it's unavoidable. Felt paper will wrinkle when wet and the wrinkles will not go away once the felt dries out and will telegraph through the shingles. We only use synthetic's (Titanium, Tiger Paw) and don't have the wrinkle problems that the paper based products do.

We always try to roof over dry decking and dry underlayments. Sometimes it's unavoidable. Felt paper will wrinkle when wet and the wrinkles will not go away once the felt dries out and will telegraph through the shingles. We only use synthetic's (Titanium, Tiger Paw) and don't have the wrinkle problems that the paper based products do.

Thank you, gentlemen. I'll look into maybe changing that underlayment to synthetic. Good news is that the weather is looking dryer already (of course it could flip back at any time)

Gotta love the PNW

Thought I'd come back and let you guys know that the job is finally done. It took five full days thanks to all the repairing that had to be completed. The previous guys cut a lot of corners like not overlapping the felt and not even lining up the sheathing on the rafters in some places. It was exhausting but good to know that it was done right this time.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

Latest posts

Back