Running a new line - conduit?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soparklion11

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently have an original 2-wire asbestos insulated line carrying 120v to an outlet on the brick facade of my 75 yr old home in Pittsburgh, Pa.

I plan to run a new wire from the box to the outlet through the ceiling in my finished basement. How often do I need to secure it when it runs down the rafters? Can it just lay on top of the drywall? Do I need to encase it in a conduit?

I would like to pull it through in the same path of the last wire, but that is not possible.

I typically secure romex every 4 feet and within 4-6 inches of entering a j-box, conduit is not necessary and in some locales against code.

If it's a finished ceiling you're going to fish a new line in, hoping that your joists run parallel with your new path. Securing it is going to be impractical since you'd have to rip down drywall to tack a staple up. If you're going to be coming down a brick wall, I would recommend using conduit where your new romex comes out of the ceiling and make sure you secure the conduit to the wall (basically sleeving the romex down the wall for protection). You could also use MC (metallic armored cable) for the entirety of the run too, and secure the MC coming down the brick wall.

Back