Stain on the side of each step

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mancolt

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a house, and noticed this discoloration along the side of each carpeted step. It's on each and every step, so I don't think they spilled something. Is it just scuffed because it was painted prior to installation and they were careless when installing carpet on the steps?

Sorry for the image orientation. It wasn't bad when looking at them on my PC before uploading.

20180113_114706.jpg

20180113_114719.jpg

I would think that the 1st photo is a display of incomplete carpet cleaning, and the 2nd from cursory cleaning.

Thank you both. They're pictures of the steps leading from the first floor to the 2nd on a house built in late 2013, not an unfinished basement. If it's just a matter of cleaning or potentially repainting, I'm not concerned. I was worried the drywall by the carpet showed signs of something else, like water damage. But if it can be cleaned off then it's not a problem.

Having it professionally cleaned would be a 1st option and if the cleaning crew believes that there is drywall damage, clean, prime and coat with spackle o durarock and keep an eye on it.

When the stairs are built there is a space left there for the carpet to tuck in . If the basement or under the stairs are not finished air can be drawn up thru that area and the carpet will filter the dirt out of the air.

Back