hey

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nedpepper

Reaction score
just signed up. remodeling my kitchen and need some advice on building door thresholds.... the kitchen was out of level two inches from foyer to the exit into the den. had to match level with doorway in foyer to keep things nice coming into the kitchen but my problem now that I have the floor back to level are two other doors. one is riding 1 3/4" off the floor the other 2 1/4". is there any way, any way at all I can build a threshold to hide it and not have to completely rebuild my door frames.... thanks in advance.

Hey Nedpepper, and :welcome:.

You'll probably get a better response if you post your problem in the proper forum. There are lots of folks here that'll help you work it out. I suggest you post pictures if it illustrates the problem. They usually answer more questions than you realize.

Welcome to the site.
My first thought would be to remove the whole frames and doors and lower the doors, but if you measure the doors see what you have, and measure the center of the handle from the bottom of the doors.
Just to get a better idea of what you have.

Thanks guys. I will ask again in another thread and get pics of what i'm talking about when i work off at 7. Basically it's like this. The house was built in 1914... So already nothing like what is built today. The two doors...one is for a bedroom the other a pantry. The floors in both of these rooms are level, just way above the kitchen floor. Pics would definitely help show what i'm saying and i'm a novice carpenter at best with limited tools and cash on hand so i'm trying to avoid calling a contractor. It may not even be possible to do a normal threshold with the way it is right now idk. I was thinking of just using trim to hide it and just leaving the step up into the rooms but i figure there has to be someone who has ran into a problem like this before.

Making sence now, I will watch for the photos. Nothing is impossible, it's always the money that has the question mark on it.:)

Back