How to support custom shelf when there are AC wires behind drywall?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithwdixon

Reaction score
Hi home repair experts, i'm hoping you can help! I recently renovated an entryway with beadboard and, for the final step, i want to install a custom-length 10''-wide shelf the entire 54'' length of the main wall.

To do so, on the facing walls on either side of the 54'' wall, i was going to fasten 2'' x 10'' supports with toggle bolts, then lay the 54'' shelf over top of the these. voila.

HOWEVER! my stud finder is finding wires EVERYWHERE behind the righthand wall. And this is a very dependable stud finder -- i drag it over top of an outlet, boom it shows AC wires warning. I cut the power to that outlet, it no longer shows them.

And where I need to put the shelf supports, it shows wires up down, left right, you name it. noplace is safe.

So my question is -- is there some sort of safe way to fasten that righthand support? I am even worried about going through the wall and nicking a wire.

I guess I could use drywall anchors and liquid nails???

Other ideas? Totally okay if the answer is, "No, you cannot go through that wall, you have to find another way to support with the main wall."

Providing there IS a solution, I guess I cut the power to those wires, confirm that it sees no more AC power, then begin to drill and implement whatever solution you offer, right?

Thanks for any advice!

I have always made a point to avoid studs -- so when I go through a stud, do I just use my typical drill bit and make the hole through drywall and stud? And then the toggle bolt goes right through the stud? Pls let me know if I need a different drill bit for going through the stud.

So you're saying that if I am going into the stud, I can skip using toggle bolts and instead just use a sharp-ended screw that goes through the stud? Any particular size screw to hold heavy weight?

one other question! can you tell me if it would be possible for me to use liquid nails? how much would liquid nails hold? I would use short screws that just went into the drywall to hold the support block in place while the liquid nails dries...

Screws come in all sorts of sizes and strengths and you would look into that when buying the bracket. Wires and plumbing should be 1 1/2" away from the back of the drywall so 2" going into the wall should be safe.
If plumbing is closer than that they usually put a metal strap over that area, you might be able to locate that with a stud finder.

one other question! can you tell me if it would be possible for me to use liquid nails? how much would liquid nails hold? I would use short screws that just went into the drywall to hold the support block in place while the liquid nails dries...

With anchors you are counting on the pull out strength of the drywall.
With glue you are counting on the surface paper not pulling off the drywall.
There ain't nothing there.:hide:

As nealtw points out, forget the togs and glue. Use the bracket of choice and screw them through the drywall and into the studs. There is a very slight chance that romex may be run horizontally through the studs but probably not where you'll mount the brackets. It should be far enough back unless you're using 4" screws to mount them and your stud finder will note any.
With a 54" wall you'll have 3 or 4 studs for support which will be plenty.

All of the above. AND....
If you just have the shelf supported at the two ends, there's a good chance that the shelf will sag in the middle. Put at least one support in the back wall. Unless you are going for a certain look, a 2x10 support would be overkill.

BTW: how can you tell if your stud finder is finding wires instead of studs?

http://www.grainger.com/product/ZIRCON-Multifunction-Scanner-30HK82?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/30HK82_AS01?$smthumb$

There are several mfg.s

Back