Advice for this nightmare basement?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, like that second photo. The cement would only go around the outside edge of the top of the sump basin (not over the actual lid, but just the little exposed outside part poking out of the gravel. Theoretically, the basin would stick up just enough out of the gravel for the thickness of cement to be flush with the top of the basin. I'm not sure whether the cement should actually touch the outside of the basin itself. I don't imagine that it would take much work to break that little bit of cement around the edges if anyone wanted to move the basin in the future, however.

With a sealed unit like that they put them in so the top is about 1 inch below the concrete top surface and dig out gravel so the concrete is about 6" right around the sump, I thing the height has more to do with where the pipes enter the pump, but if you are just using the perforated one. Level should work, don't worry about the next guy. What you are doing should be good for 25 years anyway.

I'm still getting other estimates from smaller contractors, but so far it seems like nobody wants to flip that furnace and make the adjustments for under $2,000. Kind of feels like I'm hitting my head against the wall with each estimate. :(

I'm not going to give up just yet. But part of me is getting to the point of leaving that system where it is and calling them out one more time to switch out those silly styrofoam blocks supporting it for something that will last a lot longer. Fill the floor with as much gravel as possible (wouldn't be over a foot or so), up to a little below the system. It would keep it from being a muddy mess, at least. Install the quiet submersible pumps and a sump basin in the gravel, upgrade the pump pipes and leave it be. Still elevate the water heater, of course. It is just so dumb that they put it in there like that. This isn't working out as well as I had hoped.

I'm still getting other estimates from smaller contractors, but so far it seems like nobody wants to flip that furnace and make the adjustments for under $2,000. Kind of feels like I'm hitting my head against the wall with each estimate. :(

I'm not going to give up just yet. But part of me is getting to the point of leaving that system where it is and calling them out one more time to switch out those silly styrofoam blocks supporting it for something that will last a lot longer. Fill the floor with as much gravel as possible (wouldn't be over a foot or so), up to a little below the system. It would keep it from being a muddy mess, at least. Install the quiet submersible pumps and a sump basin in the gravel, upgrade the pump pipes and leave it be. Still elevate the water heater, of course. It is just so dumb that they put it in there like that. This isn't working out as well as I had hoped.
I just generally agreed with you, on the other thread. I'm still resisting the gravel because it will displace water making the level higher to start with. Sure, the water will flow through the rocks, but put some water in a bucket, add some rocks; the water level will rise.

I just generally agreed with you, on the other thread. I'm still resisting the gravel because it will displace water making the level higher to start with. Sure, the water will flow through the rocks, but put some water in a bucket, add some rocks; the water level will rise.

It is looking like I have no choice but to go to plan B. I was asking various HVAC workers on some other forums and some of them said, "They put that system in for $4,380?!? Who are they?? I need them to install mine! I can't even do it for that little amount!" Everyone is recommending a full tear-out and replacement. Even the in-person quotes. Essentially starting over. Many have said, "I'm not touching that" even for $2,000 to $3,000 price tags. Vibration concerns of sitting it on top of the wall. Vibration/buckling concerns of hanging it from the floor. Many HVAC techs are saying that getting some general contractor for less money might cause them to take a shortcut that could spew carbon monoxide all in the basement and house. I need a plan B. This has "fail" written all over it. The furnace is supposed to be good for 15 years according to the installers. I'm totally giving up on moving it. I'm not seeking any more quotes to move it.

First things: Furnace still needs to be elevated as-is (same height) on "something" more solid than those taped-together styro blocks that they have it on. Some type of moisture barrier placed between the furnace and what it will sit on. Very curious as to how to pull this off with the current furnace weight on it. Wondering if the company that put it in will send some people out to either temporarily hold it up in place while something else is put under it or if they can temporarily strap it from the floor joist or something. There's no question that will have to be done. Gravel and water won't work with styro blocks. The company that put it in didn't seem too concerned with changing them. I may have to have another company do it. Their elevator doesn't seem to go to the top.

I've got $3,000 saved. Current list of thoughts/questions for a plan B:

Holes drilled in the base and/or lower middle of the wall to help the water not take forever to come out. I have no idea how big I should drill the holes to be. That may be why the pump comes on for days after a lot of rain. A large amount held back in the dirt by the wall's limited output of cracks, crevices and the sideways-turned cinderblocks (many of which may be blocked by washed-down dirt). The side with the highest open flow out of the actual base cinderblock is to the left of the water heater on the floor. Nothing notable seems to come out of the other sideways cinderblocks.

Unsure thought: I'm not sure how much flow I'll unleash (in the next big stall-out rain system lasting 3-4 days, for instance) by drilling holes all the way around the wall, either. Yet I have to do that before putting up any sheet drain. The thought has been entertained that when gravel is brought in for the floor, enough to also fill in all of the cinderblock holes to the top would be ordered. Fill it nearly to the top and cement over it with inches of cement, all the way across the top of the wall. This should keep any dirt from washing out of the wall or help prevent blocking holes that are drilled, since the gravel would be a barrier in between the dirt and the holes in the wall. Also, bugs/spiders wouldn't have anywhere to live in the wall. In the near future, I'm going to fumigate that whole basement with several Raid smokers. I've seen black widow spiders in the base of that wall. Not risking a bite while working. Too many creepy-crawly everythings down there due to the moisture.

Dimple board (sheet drain) surrounding the inside of the wall. I need to figure out what the highest quality, thicker dimple board is.

Questions about dimple board: Screwed to the wall? Nails won't work on those crumbly-like cinderblocks. They're solid, but I can tell they aren't nailing material. What keeps the attachment points of dimple board from leaking water? Some sort of rubber washers around the screws?

Possibly dig the sump hole deeper before adding gravel and a basin, to give water a little more room to go under the gravel and basin. I'm actually wondering just how much dirt has washed down into that hole everywhere. There's at least inches of dirt over by the water heater. When I put in the second (temporary) pedestal pump, I dug down about a foot deep or more into solid red clay. They didn't even have a "hole" there (or maybe the dirt washed in and filled it over the years). Just the pedestal pump sitting on top of almost-flat dirt. It was scary looking. Should I try to dig down and find what "should" be a cement bottom in the areas all over the hole floor and get as much dirt as possible out? I have no idea how deep it would be. It "may" give more room and make the other stuff appear elevated simply because I dug out around everything. That's a lot of work, for sure. I'd have to just try to pack it behind the wall or something.

Type of gravel: Is 3/4" dustless crushed best? Would cementing over the gravel be inviting disaster in case water went on top of the cement somehow (say, a water heater failure or any number of issues) and the water couldn't reach what would be the sealed sump lid?

The biggest sump basin that I can find is probably not going to be over 24" x 30" deep and some of those look like they want $400 for a thick garbage can basically. I'd prefer it to be already perforated. The highest basin capacity average seems to be 22 gallons. That's a far cry from the current 60 gallon or so open pit that fills to the top and gets pumped out at once (takes 1.5 minutes for that 1/3HP pedestal to pump it out).

The pumps that I put in will be submersible. I'm already sold on Ion Storm Pro's for their ability to move tons of water with very low amps. Good for the overall power bill, but even better for backup if power is lost. 4.6 running amps per 1/3HP, kicking out 3,330 GPH per pump. So two 1/3HP could get rid of about 111 gallons per minute. Pondering whether one of them should be a 1/2HP just in case the flow is a little higher and faster than expected due to the extra space that the gravel will take up and the smaller basin to pump from. A single pump like the 1/3HP could run every 3 minutes for about 20 hours on a good marine battery if the power failed. Backup battery system (Pump Sentry) will step up the voltage of the battery to power the main pump(s). Water flow is far too high for a water-powered backup pump.

Crawlspace door will be rebuilt (I can do that myself). After it is ripped out, I'm going to pour about a 3" high/thick cement ledge across the bottom of the door. The new door will be built 3" shorter and fit closely on top of that. Still plenty of room to get in, but the ledge will keep the water out. Making a drain outside of the door and punching a hose through that wall into the hole for water flow (a previous idea) would be nearly impossible.

All gutters are going to be replaced (I can do that myself) and have long extensions placed on them. I see drips in the gutter seams and the old (single piece of) wood behind the gutter is making the gutters sag below the shingle runoff point in a lot of areas. Confirmed that water is missing the gutter near the basement door, for instance. That's the corner closest to where this hole is.

Whew. :hide: This is going to be a lovely project (not). That's a lot of questions and a lot of work. Hopefully different people can chime in and pick apart some of those questions. Way too many questions for one person to tackle, but I have a ton of stuff to figure out in a fairly short time (before the big summer storm systems and tropical storms kick up again). Most of that I can do myself.

Last edited:
First things: Furnace still needs to be elevated as-is (same height) on "something" more solid than those taped-together styro blocks that they have it on. Some type of moisture barrier placed between the furnace and what it will sit on. Very curious as to how to pull this off with the current furnace weight on it.

The furnace appears to be on four sets of blocks.
Lifting one corner at a time.
A stack of 2x4 blocks under one corner until you are really close to the height and slide a tapered wedge under the furnace until you have freed one set of blocks..
Match the height of the new blocks with CMU like the wall and maybe bricks what ever will make the height right. also add the poly on top of the new concrete make that bigger than the furnace foot print so you will be able to tape it to the poly or what ever goes just under the concrete later.
If you can't get the height quit right, get close add poly and finish with plywood squares above the poly. remove shim and move around furnace to next spot and repeat. With the poly bunched up, you should be able to do it one piece.

You made a good point about drilling more holes may increase the water flow. If you think about it, this has been running for years and it is like you have an underground river that has pushed the dirt out of it's way. Perhaps just gravel poly and concrete.

Then we get into the question that I don't think we have an answer for.
If you stopped pumping is there a high water mark where the water quits getting higher. Having a deeper sump only helps for a place to catch dirt or hold more water.
The more water only helps if you are pumping it down to today's level.
If there is a high water mark then you would set the pump just below floor level and let the lower water take care of itself.
Thoughts?

You made a good point about drilling more holes may increase the water flow. If you think about it, this has been running for years and it is like you have an underground river that has pushed the dirt out of it's way. Perhaps just gravel poly and concrete.

Then we get into the question that I don't think we have an answer for.
If you stopped pumping is there a high water mark where the water quits getting higher. Having a deeper sump only helps for a place to catch dirt or hold more water.
The more water only helps if you are pumping it down to today's level.
If there is a high water mark then you would set the pump just below floor level and let the lower water take care of itself.
Thoughts?

Drilling more holes might increase the water flow, but to me it also gives it a head start from the beginning for the water to get out immediately and be pumped away before it backs up a lot behind the wall.

The higher water mark isn't officially known. I'm assuming that if pumping stopped, it would flood as high as it could up to the top of the wall or whatever height matches the pressure of the water table. My father kept repeating the same boring thing of trying to get by with a 1/3HP when I was a kid. It would always overtop the pump and/or the power would be lost. I just know of the stories that he went down to "find the water up to the top of the bricks". I'm going to assume that's true.

My solution now is not really to stop the water. It can't be stopped. Just to keep it dry with brute force pumping and make it look and function a little better down there. Once I put the sheet drain up, I can't really do anything else to drill more holes, so I'd rather just have it done already and see what happens. Maybe throw a 1/2HP down there with the 1/3HP just for good measure. The minimum sump basin size for the 1/2HP is something like 18" x 22", so it wouldn't really be overkill.

Rent a hammer drill with a 10" long 1" concrete bit. We discussed dimple board when you were going to just raise the floor a few inches, I think. Now I think you could just put in the gravel cover that and up and over the walls with the poly and go with the concrete.

I don't feel too bad about the water flow after seeing a guy's video of their makeshift sump. Their house was built about 6 years ago and is new. In the basement, they have this huge metallic sump basin that appears to be made of some kind of drainage pipe. It probably holds 200+ gallons. They have two pipes coming from the weeping tile and a third from somewhere else, and during their snow melts (it is obviously up north somewhere) and heavy rains, they have 3 pipes dumping huge amounts of water into the basin. So much that their 1/3HP and 1/2HP couldn't keep up with both continuously running. After 2 floods, their builder installed something like a 400GPM pump in addition to the other pumps. The others run continuously, while the big one kicks on every minute or so. Very scary. I saw what looked like 300 gallons per minute pouring in from all pipes just from a snow melt.

So that made me feel a little better that at least we're not the only ones dealing with such a thing.

Some one else's misery always makes us feel better.:(

Yeah, I suppose it does. So I'm going to put sheet drain on the walls first to redirect the water, then put the gravel. Poly goes down on top of gravel and then a coat of about 3" of cement on top of that.

How do I get the poly to go "around" the system and water heater to cover the floor without cutting a hole in the poly? Can't really lift the system up. Also, leaving the water heater out for x days to put the gravel down first. How would I accomplish this? Just leave the valves turned off and the gas capped or something? If the water heater is put back on top of the cement, how strong would the 3" of cement be? Is it going to start breaking up with the water heater or elevating blocks on top of it, or if the gravel shifts around under the cement? The valves look newer (probably installed it when they last put the water heater in), but it would take a while to get around to doing this.

Someone told me that those blocks holding the system up appear to be heat pump spacing blocks. They said that they are not simply packing material, but are used to raise slabs for package units, and not to wouldn't worry about them holding up for the next 10 years. Not sure what to think about that. Think I should just gravel around them as-is?

Last edited:
They use foam instead of gravel to build the roads to hwy overpasses.
Gravel will not move or shift under the concrete, it really has no place to go.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p....etres-wide-and-50-metres-long.1000181212.html
Tuck tape is the right stuff for poly and that tape will also stick to the foam and I doubt the foam is wicking water.
When you tape poly also try to get 12" of over lap. Run the poly out over the wall onto the dirt a few feet, I a perfect world you would cover all the dirt with poly.
With the gravel you really don't need the dimple board any more.

Yeah, I suppose it does. So I'm going to put sheet drain on the walls first to redirect the water, then put the gravel. Poly goes down on top of gravel and then a coat of about 3" of cement on top of that.

How do I get the poly to go "around" the system and water heater to cover the floor without cutting a hole in the poly? Can't really lift the system up. Also, leaving the water heater out for x days to put the gravel down first. How would I accomplish this? Just leave the valves turned off and the gas capped or something? If the water heater is put back on top of the cement, how strong would the 3" of cement be? Is it going to start breaking up with the water heater or elevating blocks on top of it, or if the gravel shifts around under the cement? The valves look newer (probably installed it when they last put the water heater in), but it would take a while to get around to doing this.

Someone told me that those blocks holding the system up appear to be heat pump spacing blocks. They said that they are not simply packing material, but are used to raise slabs for package units, and not to wouldn't worry about them holding up for the next 10 years. Not sure what to think about that. Think I should just gravel around them as-is?
Yes 3" slab of concrete will support the water tank.

I have looked at a variety of suppliers for sheet drain/dimple board. I see some that comes in about half of an inch thickness. It seems to vary. Is there any particular thickness that I should be looking for in this application?

Granted, these are just for an example and not where I would necessarily buy from. A lot of home improvement stores don't seem to carry rolls of this stuff.

I see things like these...

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=21065&gclid=CPSp7Iuks8wCFUMlgQodoCICiQ

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=16672

Last edited:
I have looked at a variety of suppliers for sheet drain/dimple board. I see some that comes in about half of an inch thickness. It seems to vary. Is there any particular thickness that I should be looking for in this application?

Granted, these are just for an example and not where I would necessarily buy from. A lot of home improvement stores don't seem to carry rolls of this stuff.

I see things like these...

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=21065&gclid=CPSp7Iuks8wCFUMlgQodoCICiQ

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=16672
That is the stuff.

Didn't find it at HD.
Lowes had this: Hanes Geo Components 50-ft x 4-ft Polypropylene Sheet Drain Item #: 204109 | Model #: 38612

The J-Drain stuff is similar. The site you linked to had specifics for flow rate, etc.

I don't really understand the reason why some sheet drain costs hundreds for a similar 4' x 50' roll and others are $125 and up, and everywhere in between. I would expect the half of an inch thicker type to cost more, but I find that the thinner quarter inch types actually cost more. I would think that the thicker it is, the better. So probably at least around half of an inch.

Just to be curious, I was in a Home Depot earlier today and asked the guy if they sell it. He didn't even really know what I was talking about, even after I showed him a photo and explained what it was for, called it by sheet drain/dimple board/drain board. I'll probably just order it online and save a trip halfway across the county to find it at a building supply place. When he asked what I was going to use it for, he suggested that maybe there is a crack/hole in the old foundation drain somewhere. I may never know what is causing the water flow, but I do know that digging the entire foundation up all the way around the house would be an absolutely enormous undertaking and not worth doing. If there is an old drain system around the house that is broken, then even regrading the land wouldn't do much when the ground is saturated in heavy rains.

I'm going to keep pushing to find someone to hang that furnace permanently. As for the water heater, I prefer to keep it inside. I could try to get some type of building put outside and have the pipes run outside, but in the end trying to insulate the building, insulate what would then be open water pipes, etc...that would be another headache that I don't need.

Last edited:
Back