weird experiance with existing ?latex? paint

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgold47

Reaction score
we are in the process of trying to repaint a bedroom in our house. I think going back probably 50 years ago someone painted over varnished wood trim and that coat never really took that well. Over the years, people just kept adding paint (I have found at least 4 different colors on the trim to where we are today, with what I am assuming is a latex paint on top. Obviously, I am finding that I can peel off the paint all the way down to the wood no problem (well mostly no problem) but I have noticed that the top latex coat is comiing off in long strips, is very stretchy, and has a grey back. Is this normal?

Also, any suggestions how to repaint these windows white without gunking them up any futher, and without completely dissembling the windows (these morons painted every window in the house shut before selling it!)

I would recommend that you go ahead and strip it first. We got a gallon of stripper from Home Depot that is made from citrus oil (you still have to wear rubber or nitrile gloves). Paint it on, let it sit till it changes color, then scrape off. After prepping, then use a good primer (such as Kilz) first. We have used several different brands of paint, but personally prefer Behr. It's not cheap, but you won't be disappointed with the results. Happy painting!

Keep in mind some of that paint will have lead in it and that should be concidered as part of the plan of action.

Latest posts

Back