small shower?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triptakers

Reaction score
Hi!
We're putting a bathroom in our basement as we finish it, and have a TINY bathroom to work with.
Has anyone got (or showered in ;) ) a 32 inch shower stall? Is it a reasonable size (ie can real humans actually use it, or does it feel like the shower on a boat?)

Any ideas for showers in a small space are VERY welcome!
Thanks!

Shower on a boat ...right on.:D
Go to your local plumbing supply house...not box store. They will have some set up. I have used the rounded models, more room.

I'm with InspectorD on this, round is way better. If you can find one set up then you will be able to stand in it and see if it works for you. I have used 32" ones and yes you can get the job done but I find it's not just the width but the depth to. 32" neoangle is to small, I had a 34" and it worked but if you can find a way to increase that 32" even if it's only 2 inches I suggest you do.

thanks to you both - since we're not framed yet, we're going to try super-hard to eek out the extra couple of inches - can't change the floorplan too much, though, since we've already been permitted.

The search for the perfect shower continues!

Thanks again!

We've got one possibly a bit smaller in our downstairs bath. I call it "the world's smallest shower". The outer width dimension is 31". I'm still getting the hang of "nominal dimensions". ;) It feels very closed in, hard on the elbows. That said, I've showered in there when I was 9 months pregnant. My husband and I have showered in there together ... that was an experience in togetherness :lol. Ours feels dark and confining, a bit more "openness" would be great. The left side has a full-height wall between it and the vanity, I've considered putting a "transom" of glass block above the stall to make it feel more open.

Sterling makes great 4 piece modular shower units that will work nicely for you:

http://www.sterlingplumbing.com/onlinecatalog/sterling_showers_pg.html

I've used their 32" models and at 6'2" and nearly 300lbs have no trouble using them.

Plumbing codes usually limit the size of showers to no less than 30" measured from inisde wall to inside wall.

In most cases you cannot legally install any factory built shower that is less than a standard 32" wide.

thanks to you both - since we're not framed yet, we're going to try super-hard to eek out the extra couple of inches - can't change the floorplan too much, though, since we've already been permitted.

The search for the perfect shower continues!

Thanks again!
I dought you would have a problem with the inspector, in a lot of cases we call this "on site Alteration.

Plumbing codes usually limit the size of showers to no less than 30" measured from inisde wall to inside wall.

In most cases you cannot legally install any factory built shower that is less than a standard 32" wide.

That. Our shower is original (I believe) to our 1970's house. I'm not sure it would be allowed today.

Back