Bathroom nightmare

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbath

Reaction score
Hey Everyone! I am just starting to redo my bathroom in my 1950's home. I am a complete novice when it comes to DIY. I just took the wallpaper down so I can paint. Unfortunately, there is not a smooth surface underneath. I also have some crumbling drywall. I'm really not sure if it's drywall or plaster. The top half is blue and rough. What I would like to know is do I need to have this stuff drywalled? What preparation do I need to do before painting? Is there a type of primer that would give me a smooth surface? Thanks!

Hi! I just renovated my 1946 California Ranch bathroom and also had walls that were in pretty bad shape under the wallpaper. I knew that my walls were plaster and lath. I washed the wallpaper paste off with plain water and an abrasive sponge a few times being careful not to get the walls very wet through this cleaning process, then let the walls dry overnight. I next undercut the bad cracks and holes and chipped away all surface plaster that was not tight to the wall. After dampening the areas to be patched, I used pre-mixed patching compound and pushed the material into the bad cracks and smoothed more over all the other crumbled areas. After it dried, I sanded the areas until they were as even with the wall level as possible. BTW--I also embedded fiberglass mesh tape over the bad cracks and holes to help keep them together longer. I know that those cracks will reappear with time as my house shifts from year to year--I live in earthquake country where we're "moving" all the time!
After vacuuming the walls and trying to get all the plaster dust off, I finally used a good quality primer/sealer that has a mildewcide mixed in followed by two coats of interior latex enamel paint with a satin finish. I also finished the trim and door with a high-gloss latex enamel paint after prepping and cleaning.
I recaulked all around the bath and wherever was necessary to keep the areas as water-tight as possible.
I decided to put up new towel bars, etc. to match the new look. This all took a long time, but I'm so happy to see such a clean and beautiful new space that it was all worth the effort! It makes me smile just to walk past the bathroom!
Hope this helps. Good luck with your project!

Back