nail on roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qmqmqm

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

My house is about 5 years old. On my lower roof, I noticed that there is a nail that is not fully hammered into the flashing. Should I just hammer it down? Or put some caulking on it? Is it OK to just leave it as it is?

In general, is it a good idea to caulk the nails on the flashing on the roof?

Thanks a lot!

Paul

1.jpg

2.jpg

Pull the nail out and put a new one in straight so it sit flush to the flashing. Then put a dab of caulk on the top to seal it. A nail won't make a water tight seal against metal flashing. Do NOT use silicone caulk, use a rubber base or a caulk like Geocel, NP1 or Dow makes some great caulks. Go to your local roofing supply store and get a quility caulk there. Silicone sets up to hard and doesn't allow for flexibility. And don't over drive it so you compress the flashing.

Thanks a lot Oldognewtrick!

Will the old nail hole cause any problems?

I'm not sure what's underneath the shingles...

Thanks!

Paul

qmqmqm said:
Thanks a lot Oldognewtrick! Will the old nail hole cause any problems? I'm not sure what's underneath the shingles... Thanks! Paul

Yes, the old hole will be a problem. Take the end of the caulk tube and squirt some into the old hole. Then put a small dab on top and smooth it off with a wet finger. A little goes a long way.

That nail never should have been there in the fist place.

joecaption said:
That nail never should have been there in the fist place.

The flashing is totally incorrect. Flashing should never be done like that, but the toothpaste is out of the tube at this point.

Latest posts

Back