Mounting Flat Panel TV outside of Wall Unit

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HauteShots

Reaction score
I just ordered a 55" LED Flat Panel TV but I'm not sure how I'm going to mount it. My house was built in 2001 when projection TV's were still very popular. There is a custom entertainment center sunk into the wall and there is 26" between the wall and the front of the wall unit where there was once a 52" projection TV inside. Since the distance between the wall and the front of the wall unit is so great, mounting the TV to the wall is not an option. I looked for an under mount since there is 1 1/2 " thick shelf right above the top of where the TV should sit (which I could reinforce the shelf too with another 1 1/2 board) but I cant find an under mount that will support a 55" TV.

Has anyone come across this problem? If so what was your solution?

Thank you!

A couple well placed 2x4 across the hole would allow a regular wall mount, Can you post a photo?

It sounds like you need to partially rebuild the wall to get the depth correct. Some minor stud work and some drywall and you can custom build a framework which can easily hold your new set . . . and you will know exactly where the studs are located in advance.

I figured out a solution but the TV hasnt arrived yet so I havent implemented it. I decided to cut a 2x6 to the width of the opening of the wall unit. Then use (2) metal joists screwed into the inside of the cabinet to hold the 2x6 in place. Then I will add extra support by screwing a 6" piece of 2x4 under each joist which will I will screw into the walls sides of the wall unit. (See the attached photo). The LED TV is only 47lbs so I think it should be strong enough with a standard flat panel tv mount. The TV will be much larger then the opening but I wasnt willing to settle for a 47" flat panel which was all that would fit inside of the opening so I chose to mount on the outside which will cover some of the shelving and keep the two bottom doors from opening on each side. Oh well.. guess you can have everything....

TV should be here in the next couple of days so I will post more photos when it's done.

wallunit.jpg

wallunit2.jpg

Latest posts

Back