Is it Possible to Cut a Tile Like This - Pic Attached

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davvid20120

Reaction score
This tile is wrapping a door jamb on both sides. The cut is outlined in black, The inside is waste. This is a 12"x12" ceramic tile.

I can't get to everything with a wet saw. For that stuff I've tried using a 4" diamond blade on a grinder. Tile always breaks. I take it slow. I've layered towels under the tile to make a soft, sturdy surface.

Are these cuts even possible?

What is the best way to cut?

Thanks!

Tile.jpg

For starters I would cut the door jam so the tile can slip under it, the cut becomes less detailed.
I am sure the pros have their tricks but if you draw a line between the ends of the two long lines and start a cut there with the grinder you don't have to go all the way thru. then cut those two long cuts and the center will break out. Now on the wet saw you can cut several cuts straight in stopping at the finnish line. Finish with the angle cut at the top of your photo.

You can cut that out but the problem will always be that you're not left with enough meat on the tile. If it doesn't break when you're cutting it, it will likely snap when you're installing it. That being said, sometimes a crack isn't a bad thing because it's easier to hide than a cut and grouted joint.
I have one somewhere in my house. A cut tile that cracked while setting it. Once installed with the crack pushed closed, it just disappeared, and the thinset prevented it from ever parting.
I'd use the angle grinder to plunge cut out the detail on the right by nibbling it away. Plunge cut the short straight lines and nibble out the area around the door stop. Lastly make your long cuts on the wet saw.

I could cut that with a wet saw no problem. You can get creative with how you cut. But with that being said it is easier to cut the door jam.

When cutting little notches you cut from the back side of the tile. You do really weaken it but it can be done. I had a job where I had to cut out a few company logos and initials. I got pretty good and working that blade.

Thanks for the replies.

The jamb is undercut. The tile is going into the jamb at an angle. I can see why it is confusing. Part of the cut looks like it is for the stop. Sorry.

Beachguy: I was noticing that as they broke. I could put tile back together and joint was almost invisible. Thanks!
Chris: I didn't know about cutting for the back. Thanks!

The diamond blade always breaks the tile. It doesn't look like a tile saw blade-a continuous blade. It has little grooves/notches in the blade. I think it is more for masonry.

It bugs me that I can't do this. Dremel makes a diamond blade. I'm going to try that.

If I am able to cut, is the tile more likely to break, even if set properly in thinset, because there no meat there? Should I back butter tile before setting?

Your blade is fine. I would rather use a wet saw on that cut than any other saw. Angle grinders vibrate too much and end up cracking tiles if you are not careful.

Mark the same pattern on the back side of the tile in permanent marker. On the small notches you cut from the back to where you can take off more meat of the tile to get the top to look how you want.

search

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Cutting+Tile+with+Dremel&view=detailv2&&id=1502E364A1D07CE292A3A36C08E71F0A0829C8F2&selectedIndex=0&ccid=c04DG0ZL&simid=608053360002596939&thid=OIP.M734e031b464b26b0f6bdc968a5f31f63o0

use a dremel and a wet saw

You can cut that out but the problem will always be that you're not left with enough meat on the tile. If it doesn't break when you're cutting it, it will likely snap when you're installing it. That being said, sometimes a crack isn't a bad thing because it's easier to hide than a cut and grouted joint.
I have one somewhere in my house. A cut tile that cracked while setting it. Once installed with the crack pushed closed, it just disappeared, and the thinset prevented it from ever parting.
I'd use the angle grinder to plunge cut out the detail on the right by nibbling it away. Plunge cut the short straight lines and nibble out the area around the door stop. Lastly make your long cuts on the wet saw.
Yes I truly agree with your comment as I had also tried the same.

Latest posts

Back