DIY Gifting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laikabee

Reaction score
For xmas this year, I want to put together a kit of useful items for a friend who’s very handy and moving into a new house. He has tons of tools so I figured I’d get the things that you don’t normally think of when doing a product but end up useful anyway. I want to include:

- some hooks for the pegboard in his garage
- rope (mainly to be used for boating)
- Some cleaning stuff like broom/dustpan/mop
- A nice pair of work gloves

Are there any specific brands you’d recommend for any of these things? I can just go to Home Depot and buy whatever they have but if there are specific brands I should look out for, I’d love to get him decent stuff.

Ear muffs for noise if he doesn't have a set. I was able to convince my son to use them when he had his Rent A Son lawn business in High School. I use them with the mower, blower, weedwacker, chainsaw and if I'm doing a lot of cutting with a circular saw or table saw.

A decent set of knee pads.

I would add some types of glue and caulking. This is something all homeowner's need.

Anything you buy will just be guessing as to what he or she needs.
A gift certificate at Lowe's or HD is what I would want.

A set of drill bits. As well as all the other stuff mentioned. If you go with the gift card, include a list of suggestions that cover the safety stuff. Most guys will put the card towards all the cool stuff, but neglect the safety gear.

Hell, I'd just take cold weather.

After great thought, I'd be considering giving a nice compact cordless drill. I just gave my electrician a new Dewalt 12v compact. I figured I better get him his own before he stole mine!

Most DIY type guys would love a Leatherman tool but if they are anything like me won’t buy one for themselves. I got one for a gift and love it.

I got one from an ex girlfriends now deceased father. Thing is probably 20 years old. Love it, remember nothing compares to a real leather man.

Back