Garage opener installation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pcnerd

Reaction score
Can one perform the installation alone? My current decided not to work today (after going home from work).

Both light bulbs are not working. The on wall control doesn't have a lid on.

Verified outlet to have power.

I am thinking of buying the same manufacture brand (Genie).

Thanks.

Did you look for a reset button on the unit. The wall switch is just wired to the unit with two small wires if you can identify that you could jump them at the unit to see if it will work.
The dangerous part of these things is the springs, if you can change it out with out touching them, you should be able to do it.

Did you look for a reset button on the unit. The wall switch is just wired to the unit with two small wires if you can identify that you could jump them at the unit to see if it will work.
The dangerous part of these things is the springs, if you can change it out with out touching them, you should be able to do it.

I have to check for the reset button. Right now car its inside blocking area.

There should be rope near the door that you can pull to disingage the door and open it by hand

Also, check for a fuse. In any case, try unplugging it for a few minutes, then trying it again after plugging it in. I installed two of them in November. The first one took 4 hours from start to finish, the second one took 2 hours. Replacement is easy, since brackets and wiring is already in place.

There should be rope near the door that you can pull to disingage the door and open it by hand

I did that earlier go bring the car in. Its too cold right now to reverse it.

I check it out tomorrow. Its a IntelliG 1200 Genie (Professional line).

You mentioned the lid was off the wall panel. Is that something that hasn't happened before? Do you think it's related to the unit not working?

You mentioned the lid was off the wall panel. Is that something that hasn't happened before? Do you think it's related to the unit not working?

The wall control always have a red constant light lid up until tonight. That is what I am referring to, not the cover.

Looking at their troubleshooting chart, there should be 2 lights and if they are both off, check for power and then call them, not much help there.

Last edited:
Oh, the light wasn't lit! Funny.:p

Time for a new one. Called support this morning. The circuit is 100, but they suggested I get complete new unit for warranty. :(

Do you guys connect the power cord of the garage opener to a surge protector or just a standard outlet? We did have a few heavy rainy days in socal and some equipment in the house flickered a few times.

We never had any issue in the old house after 10 years of heavy usage.

Last edited:
Lift Master is what the builders have been using here for a while, mine is about 8 years old without any problems and I havn't heard any complaints but I havn't looked them up either.

Back