Minwax "Super Fast" Drying Poly for hardwood

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockinGee

Reaction score
Hello all. Newbie here on your forum. I had a friend of the family redo a floor for me since I had to work but needed it done quickly. He did a rush job. My question is, the floor has been done for 30 hours now as of this very time, and I still can't walk on the floor because it is still sticky. I am assuming he slopped it on nice and thick to get it done. My question is, will it ever dry to a non sticky feel, or is there something I need to do to start over?
FYI, heat is on in the house! Ceiling fans are on...and another floor fan is blowing from another room directly onto the floor. Pretty humid the day he put it on, but dry and cool today...still sticky. Glad I bought the super fast drying poly. Would hate the regular drying poly. Ha. Thanks in advance for your time.

image.jpg

That should have been dry in a couple hours. Did he add anything to it or thin it? Was he going over bare wood? Was the floor sanded first?

Welcome RG.

Welllllll.........Poly is supposed to go in multiple thin coats because once the skin forms on top, the stuff in the middle is no longer exposed to air. Someone here will have a better answer, but you might get lucky if you let it dry long enough. To be honest, i'm not sure how this will turn out.

Thanks guys...
Bud, yes, sanded. No on thinning and over the stain that he applied first.
Slow, understand what you mean. I'm certainly worried about the outcome as well, since have to be out of my current house and into that one this week. Yikes.

If it is still sticky in the morning, I will be sure that he did something wrong. Either not letting the stain dry, or not stirring the poly or putting the poly on too thick or something. With that said, what are my options if it is still sticky? Will it ever dry? Probably can't sand while sticky huh? Another option is for me to just do laminate planks. But can do I still have to sand it regardless? If I did the laminate, it would be the non gluing type.

The stain was water based or oil? How long did that dry. On bare wood the first coat will dry from both sides if the stain has dried well. The second coat dries as SNS said but should take just a bit longer. It skins over quick enough that if there are any air bubbles they get trapped in the finish. I think it will eventually dry. Crank the heat up and wait it out. It is kind of hard to put a super thick coat on as when you spread it out it regulates the thickness unless he poured it on or something.

Have you considered getting or renting a dehumidifier? I have one that I used to speed up the drying of my floor after a sewage backup.

I'm hoping it will turn out for you. Have you checked out the flooringforum.com? It is one of the sister sites to this forum.

Latest posts

Back