Range hood vent roof cap

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KShirvan

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting on this forum. Have searched for a few hours now and cannot find the answer to my problem. A while ago I replaced the roof on my house and the contractor placed a cap over the kitchen range vent pipe with a built in damper. This past weekend, I started a new project of replacing the vent hood with an over the range microwave with built in ventilation. After removing the old vent hood, the pipe going to the roof just slid down! After checking the attic space, I found out that the vent pipe was not affixed to the cap in any way and was just being held up by the vent hood.

The cap on the roof does not have a pipe fitting built in for the pipe to attach to. My question is, how do I seal my vent pipe to the cap so the vented air doesn't end up in the attic?

Thanks,

Kash

With nothing to attach to on the vent cap, it looks like your going to need to change the cap with one that has an attachment point.

Thanks for the response. Other than helping with the tear off of my old roof, I haven't done any type of roofing. I am however pretty handy with repairs around the house. Is that something I can do by myself without worrying about causing leaks?

if not familiar, best left to a roofer.
Plan B, find a way to attach a flanged pipe with a silicon seal around mating surfaces.

Wouldn't happen to have a picture of what you're talking about, would you?

Thanks again for all the help.

Secure the pipe in the attic so in can't slide down. Make sure it extends out past the roof and that the boot is intact and waterproof. If the pipe can't move, then the cap/damper on the end of it will stay put.

There is a cap on the roof with a built in damper. The pipe itself doesn't have a boot nor a damper on the end of it. My issue is that the cap doesn't have a pipe connection on it.

It's a small section of duct that screws into the vent housing. You should be able to source one from either the supplier or the MFG.

Back