Pond Liner

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbfly03

Reaction score
does anyone know of an inexpensive alternative to pond liner? i'm making a waterfall feature but wasn't interested in spending too much money on the liner. i'm not planning on having plant/animal life in the pond part so the material doesn't necessarily have to be 'safe' for that. any ideas would be appreciated. i have a cement pond in the ground now, it's old i guess as the cement is starting to crack in some places. i was just going to reline it with liner but was looking for other ideas. thanks

Last edited:
Pond liner is very similar if not the same as rubber roofing. If you have access to or come across some it would work fine. It won't last and I don't recommend it but if you want to do it on the cheap and don't care simple black plastic would work for a year or two until it starts to break down. You might try caulking the cracks and then painting the whole thing with some DryLock.

Kris
RestorationJournal

Bentomite clay...look at the local agway or landscape supply store.

I know that a friend of mine bought a liner from Goodyear. I am not sure if they were cheap or not, but it might be worth looking into.

thanks for all the ideas, i have a good base to start from now.

If you shop around you might find pond liner which is cheaper and safer for any wild life, I have heard that roof liner has chemicals in it to prevent mildew. Although you might not be planning to have any fish etc, birds and other wild life might drink or be attracted to the water.

Back