Removing odd shelf brackets?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepper

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Have any of you ever seen brackets like these? They're from a small glass shelf I'm removing in one of our bathrooms. I can't figure out how they're attached.

Rather than the usual hex screw underneath, each one has a 1/4" square opening through which I can see two small metal parts. On first glance I thought they were nuts---but I don't see hexagonal sides, and there wouldn't be room to get any kind of wrench in there anyway.

I've tried rotating the angled part and the larger base part, in case one or the other might've been screwed into a base, but that didn't work.

Thanks for your ideas!

bracket_00.jpg

bracket_01.jpg

I believe you shove a small flathead screwdriver into the opening and pry it off the wall. Sure seems like a dumb design.

Right you were! The nut-like object is a spring clip you can press with a small flat-blade driver to release the bracket. So it functions like the traditional hex bolt, but when you install, you just press the bracket onto the base till it clicks.

...Sure seems like a dumb design.

Dunno, it doesn't seem that bad. The the top connection is what actually holds the weight, so the clip's just a faster means of attaching or removing. That is, if you know how it works... Otherwise you have to factor in the message-forum time (LOL).

Thanks for your help!

Back