DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Some hurricane questions

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:14 AM  
JoeD
Liked 243 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It is possible to fix anything but it might cost more than buying a new one.
I would certainly call for A/C service. That is likely better to fix than replace unless it is extremely old.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:17 AM  
Sparky617
Liked 240 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 149

The light fixture is not a simple light fixture. It has a photocell on the top of the fixture to turn it on at dusk and off at dawn. They are replaceable items, it will require climbing a ladder to replace it. A lot of times those lights are provided by the power company and billed on a monthly flat rate. The power company also is responsible for maintenance. Since yours is mounted to a palm tree I suspect it isn't supplied by the power company. The photocell should be available at an electrical supply house. It may be available at a home center but I don't know, I've never had the need to look for one. You don't want to throw an aluminum ladder up against the tree to change it. You may want to call in an electrician to replace it. If you do, you might look at upgrading to an LED street light instead, much lower power consumption and longer life.

For the microwave, you probably need to open up the front of the unit and look for a fuse. On a GE I had the fuse was located above the control panel and after removing a couple of screws was easily replaceable. I'd do a search on the model for the owners manual to see if there is a replaceable fuse. Same with the AC unit. If there is a fuse, test it and replace if blown.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:20 PM  
Sparky617
Liked 240 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
It is possible to fix anything but it might cost more than buying a new one.
I would certainly call for A/C service. That is likely better to fix than replace unless it is extremely old.
It is a window unit, that could be a disposable item as well. Hard to say without knowing the size of the unit and what a new replacement unit would cost.