Is my toilet handle leaking?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a float that turns off the water at a set height, sometime with old brass ones you would get a leak and the toilet would never stop. The overflow is there to protect you from floods so it should be below the handle hole.

Okay. So it is most likely a problem with the fill valve not stopping for some reason. (It is a newer-style plastic valve). So if I changed the fill valve, it would probably take care of the problem.... but I could also avoid having to change the fill valve just by cutting a few inches off of the overflow tube?

And if I wanted to save on my water bill, I should change the fill valve.

Is this correct?

Did you check it for adjustment possibilities. They really are easy to change out.

Do you mean the adjustment screw? Yes I checked that.

What should I cut the plastic overflow tube with? PVC cutter not working.

Turn off the water and flush so you are not working in water. A hacksaw blade is handy in tight spaces.
The blade on my jig saw will turn to a sideways possession, pretty handy

Turn off the water and flush so you are not working in water. A hacksaw blade is handy in tight spaces.
The blade on my jig saw will turn to a sideways possession, pretty handy

Okay I cut the overflow tube so it should never leak out the handle again.

But do you know the root of the problem of why the fill valve was overfilling in the first place?

When I flush the toilet, water enters the tank from the bottom of the fill valve, and it also sprays water out of the hose into the overflow tube. Does that offer any hint?

In the working toilet that I have, water does not spray out of the hose into the overflow tube when I flush.

Okay I cut the overflow tube so it should never leak out the handle again.

But do you know the root of the problem of why the fill valve was overfilling in the first place?

When I flush the toilet, water enters the tank from the bottom of the fill valve, and it also sprays water out of the hose into the overflow tube. Does that offer any hint?

In the working toilet that I have, water does not spray out of the hose into the overflow tube when I flush.

I think most sprew in the tub. that is what it is for It is what tops up the toilet bowl level at the end of the flush.
If you still have a problem. Undo the water feed undo the next nut and go buy a new valve it is that easy.:thbup:

I'm no plumber but a diy dude, but could there be a pinhole leak in the fill hose? Bring intermittent, to me, sounds also like it's working but not always like something is binding? Or the fill hose sprays in different locations at different times?? Like it may not be secure? Just giving thoughts...was it resolved?

I'm no plumber but a diy dude, but could there be a pinhole leak in the fill hose? Bring intermittent, to me, sounds also like it's working but not always like something is binding? Or the fill hose sprays in different locations at different times?? Like it may not be secure? Just giving thoughts...was it resolved?

I cut the overflow tube so it should stop leaking out the handle.

Is the fill valve still working over time? I'm not sure. I haven't really sat around and listened for it.

Back