Edging/small retaining wall?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o2284200

Reaction score
Hello all,

Loss of a wooden fence along slightly sloped driveway, exposed the need for edging and/or small (approx 6"+) retaining wall, to keep soil under the slightly elevated ground, where the pool pump leads to backyard, from sliding onto driveway. I also need to go 90 degrees up from the driveway into the yard a bit, until I reach level ground, before I can install new fence.

FWIW: There was thin black plastic edging along driveway but it is totally disintegrated. Same stuff was going up into the yard a bit and that held up a little better but not much. There's also what appear to be 2x4s used as edging, for the pavers leading to this area as well as the way around the pool and into backyard, which are rotting and popping out, all over the place. That said, I'd like to avoid the thin black plastic as well as wood edging.

What would you use in these situations?

Thanks!

437001d1508347175t-edging-small-retaining-wall-edging2.jpg

436993d1508347151t-edging-small-retaining-wall-edging.jpg

437025d1508347212t-edging-small-retaining-wall-edging4.jpg

Retaining wall blocks come in many colors and shapes. Dig down about 8" and compact some gravel. Top that with sand so that you're 3" below grade on the lower side. Drop in the blocks and build up from there to the height you prefer. The trick is to have the first course of blocks buried about half-way, and on a firm bed. You can use the blocks that are sold at the big box stores, or something more elaborate.
You can also do it with PT railroad ties, but the same base is recommended.

Thanks!
It probably makes sense to break this down to 2 different projects:
1) While leaving room for new fence, install small retaining wall/edging on slope between pool pump and driveway, from fence gate opening down to where 90 degree turns up into yard.
2) Remove existing rotted 2x4 paver edging and replace with new non-wood edging.

@nealtw, If I had more room, especially by gate opening and driveway AND if I didn't want to avoid wood edging, treated 6x6 might be a consideration.

@slownsteady, I like the idea of blocks and/or bricks for project # 1. Actually, I have some scrap and overage from previous home owner that I was thinking about trying to make use here...

Thoughts?

edging extras.jpg

edging new.jpg

edging new2.jpg

Back