Toilet Fill Valve

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4883

Reaction score
About a month ago I replaced my horizontal float toilet fill valve with the vertical style fill valve. It's a Fluidmaster style where the float runs up/down the body of the fill valve. Several times a day I hear water running for about 1-2 seconds refilling the tank. I know it's happening on at least one if not both toilets. I performed a dye test to make sure the flapper wasn't bad and it came back good. I also adjusted the float to the lowest setting as 2/3 of a tank of water has proven to be plenty to flush the toilet. I'm completely puzzled as to why this is happening. Does anyone have any insight as to the cause of this problem? :confused:

Well, not exactly the same problem. When my valve shuts off, it's off. However, on occasion, it will run for a second to refill the tank just a little bit. I haven't actually sat there and watch it but, for this to happen, the float level certainly dropped enough for the valve to let a bit of water run. I don't have any external leaks and ran a dye test from tank to bowl and it reveals that the flapper is still good. I quit using bleach tablets cause they were eating up the flappers.

Maybe the float isn't coming all the way to the top ,binding, and then pops up later. You could still have pressure bumps. If your not filling the tank to the overflow, you could measure the gain over time. If it's not leaking the level would go up.

Just an update. I replace the valve assembly again. After doing that it cycled about every hour for 1 second.
I shut the water off the tank to see where the bottom of the water level would go if not refilled.
It went all the way down to the flapper. I cleaned the flapper & seat and now every thing works fine.
Odd thing is that on the first replacement valve, I did a tank dye test to see if the flapper was good and it was.
Oh well, on to the next job ....

Back