Second Story Bathroom Vents Not Ducted Outside

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lived in MA, on the coast, in a 2 story house. The house had a ridge vent and soffit vents that I installed when I removed the gable vents. The reason I removed them was that regardless of the type of vent, I would get wind driven snow forced into them, especially during a 2 day noreaster. The snow would eventually melt and soak the insulation and ceiling. The ridge vent worked well.
The bathroom was on the north side of the house on the second floor and when I vented it, I wasn't going through the roof because the snow would block any vent.
Installing it in the soffit worked perfectly. Used that fan sometimes twice a day, most of the year, for years on end. Checking the attic for mold....never found any. This whole concept that your attic is going to just suck up any moisture or air that gets exhausted and create issues is nonsense.

beachguy, the code is written because these things CAN happen. Not that they WILL happen in every house on every instance.

your house in Maine, did not retain moisture. Thats a good thing. Your neighbors house might have.

the code is written to incompus all aspects and scenero's .

I myself have seen fart fans in the attic, no mold, no moisture

I have also seen mold and wet insulation. just depends where, and how it is done

I beleive it says when venting thru the soffet, solid soffet for three feet either side of the vent.
To many variables to figure how a certain house will react.
Prevailing winds, temp. in the attic compared to outside air, amount of heat coming off the top of the wall and how much air that draws, how well the roof vent system works and speed of the air coming from the vent and where the moisture condences and time of year.
I had this discussion years ago so I started watching houses down the hill when the fans are running. It is only visible in the winter when it is dark for the most part with a light on in the bathroom you can see a fog. One day it will go straight down a slowly work around the side of the house and other days it will slowly drift up and over the gutter. Other times it must condence right away as you see no fog.

Back