Mystery Power Source

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyfoxx

Reaction score
Hi, My great grandparents in their house, in the basement,

Their was 1 plug outlet , as crazy as this sounds,

It always had power no matter what, even if say the electric company turned them off for unpaid bills,

How is this possible ?

I would want to turn off the main myself to believe that but It would have to be wired to the wrong side of the meter or over to the house next door. That can happen in a duplex.

Single family dwelling or duplex? Possibly that receptacle is on the other persons meter?

Pure magic . Send this question to Harry Potter . :)

Wonder if this receptacle goes dead if you pull the meter ?

God bless
Wyr

My friend worked for Penelec and was called out to a House some people just bought as they were getting shocked in one place on the basement wall. he went out and found a 220 feed sawed off flush with the wall (underground service) they dug it up outside and found an illegal tap made and fixed it and the power company took the past owner to court and found he had an electric furnace down there. To stay out of jail he ended up paying for something like 40 years of max power draw thru that line plus interest. Cost him as much as he got for the house.

All kinds of things happen and most of the time it’s not magic.

Single family dwelling or duplex? Possibly that receptacle is on the other persons meter?

Not sure what it would be considered.

I remember that there was indeed VERY VERY LITTLE SPACE in the alley way between all the houses.

So the idea of it being hooked to the wrong meter might be it.

It might have been a temperary setup for construction and someone for got to kill it from both ends.

It might have been a temperary setup for construction and someone for got to kill it from both ends.

yeah , they also lived in a small mountain town so, perhaps no one ever thought much of it.:rofl:

Latest posts

Back