Painting concrete floors

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmacken

Reaction score
I painted my garage floor with oil based paint in a checkerboard pattern. The problem is that the white is yellowing and looks really dirty. I want to either reprint with a xylene based paint or 2 part epoxy. Please help....I am getting a lot of conflicting info on what I can do and how to prepare. Thanks bonnie

Step 1 is remove what ever is on the floor now.
Step 2 read and follow the directions on what ever you plan on putting down next.

So there is nothing that I can paint over it with without removing the paint.. I am trying to avoid that. Can I roughen it and reprint??

You can try that but, there is no guarantee.
If it were me, I'd want bare concrete, acid etched and then follow instructions with the DIY epoxy kit.
Chances are that the kit will specify an acid etch.
You will have to rent a floor grinder to get the paint off and get a clean substrate to start the process.

I did that once before and on the back patio. It was quite a nightmare. Problem is the garage is totally enclosed now and there is only one small door out the back.

I agree with kok. You want to remove the old finish first, then follow the directions in the paint kit. If you don't you will soon be as unhappy with the new paint as you were with the old. There are two problems with just covering the old paint. 1) Either the oil based paint wasn't made for garage floors or the concrete wasn't properly prepped first (or both). Therefore it will eventually flake up from the concrete. 2) Whatever is coming through the paint causing it to yellow isn't going to go away by putting more paint on top of it. If you will strip the old paint and then as kok suggested - acid etch it, then use garage epoxy, you should be happy with the results for years to come. I've painted a concrete floor before, and can tell you that proper prep is worth the effort.

I have been told, but have not seen it. To remove latex paint from concrete, put a freash coat of latex over top waite eight hours and peel it up. You might try a little section, see if it works.

Back