Attic fan switch

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFBonnett

Retired decorating contractor
Reaction score
The variable speed two wire switch for the gable mount attic fan is acting up again. Did the same years ago and I got a replacement from Sears Parts. The current Sears replacement (appears to be from KB Electronics) looks really cheap in all ways but price. KB has some better ones but I need to determine capacity needed. The motor is 110v, 5 amp, 1 hp according to the tag. I read online that double the amps is needed to allow for start-up surge. Can anyone advise the capacity needed? I'd like to make this repair the last repair.
TIA

Most attic exhaust fans I have seen are only 1/15 to 1/8 hp and none are 5A. Must suck the hair off your dog's back. Even whole house fans rate about 1/3 hp ..... Also surprised you don't have this thermostatically controlled instead of a two speed switch. I would ditch the switch in favor of a thermostat.

Who makes your fan? Sears?

I guess attic fan is the incorrect term here. It would more accurately be called a whole house fan. The numbers are off the tag on the motor. It's belt, not direct drive.

Traded emails with a tech from KB Electronics. Ordered and installed a 10A max control and all is well.

Back