Some recommendations for a question on slamming doors

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loninappleton

Reaction score
The first few posts I saw here are on topics for homeowners. But I couldn't find a _discussion_ for apartments where I could describe a door problem using the phrase 'kerchunk'. Nothing on google that relates.

I have noisy neighbors with a kerchunking door. This has been going on for a long time. Neighbors come and go and the kerchunking remains. I don't think it's their fault though careful closing with the knob would help.

The common answer is felt pads, but having been up close to this door, the kerchunk is, from a door that is loose in the frame and rubbing at the same time rather than too tight. The building is old, the tenants are young and they don't request repairs. Management tells me the request has to come from the tenant.

What can be done about the problem in case I can do a stealth repair between tenancies?

Also is there a recommended and reliable apartment dwellers forum (of long standing) for these sorts of things in your experience?

Welcome to the site.
If the door is dragging on a carpet the fix would be to cut a little off the bottom.
I do think the building management should be pushed, they ususally have it in the agreement that they can enter to do repairs that they deem needed.
Ask them if water was running down their walls in the office and the people above them never asked for a repairs, what would they do?

Funny, I have a neighbor across the street with a screen door that slams every time they use it. A simple adjustment of the pneumatic closer would fix it, but people are lazy and stupid and neighbors seem to suffer most for it.
In your case I would suggest that full door weather stripping. Sturdy foam stick on should work.

Welcome to the site.
If the door is dragging on a carpet the fix would be to cut a little off the bottom.
I do think the building management should be pushed, they ususally have it in the agreement that they can enter to do repairs that they deem needed.
Ask them if water was running down their walls in the office and the people above them never asked for a repairs, what would they do?

What I've observed is when closing the door first sticks and then a second pull causes the kerchunck as , maybe it gets past a particular point. But I can't go and use a plane on it or even sandpaper. I don't know the couple at all.

This is why I wished a redirect to the best apartment problem place-- not one with a couple replies that someone started up on a whim.

The google haystack gives no clue as to which one might be good.

Who knew for instance that the simple videohelp was the best I've found for those types of problem? The point is is there an equivalent 'apartmenthelp'?

"Apartmentrepairtalk.com" Hmmmm. Most of the same questions and probably most of the same answers here, I would imagine. There are plenty of renters, condo dwellers, etc. here.

Sometimes, a conversation with the neighbor, explaining that the door needs more repair than they thought, is enough. A little persuasion, you might say.
Sometimes the door needs to be a little more broken before anyone pays attention.

Latest posts

Back