Are foundation vents needed?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joec

Reaction score
I am researching what to do with my crawlspace. It is very dry under my house, but I need to redo the insulation as it has been in place since the 70's and is hanging etc. I am looking at the crawlspace liners etc and all those installers close off the vents. It got me to wondering if I just replace the fiberglass insulation, should I seal off these vents as it allows the high humidity air under my house in the summer. These vents are fixed open as they were never used by the previous owner and I cannot get them to close manually. I live in coastal NC and it gets very humid in the summer. The winter months are low humidity, so no issue there.

If it was mine I'd be knocking out those old vents and replacing with ones like this.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-...ose-Foundation-Vent-in-Black-FVRABL/202067979
Just takes me about 2 min. per vent to remove and install a new one.
One wack in the middle of the vent to break it with a maul, a flat bar to pry the top stip down to break it in 1/2 so it can be pried out of the mortar, and a few wacks with a brick chisel to remove the mortar at the bottom of the opening.
Slide it in the hole and tighten up the 4 screws, do not over tighten or you'll bend the frame and the vents will not open and close.

Back