How to "push pull or tow" insulation into this space?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoconutPete

Old houses & German cars
Reaction score
I have a Cape Cod from 1930, I'm sure this is not a shocker but it's underinsulated......

Side attic Kneewall has no insulation in it which is on the list.
Side Attic floor / living room ceiling has no insulation in it which is on the list.
Rafters are insulated / OOOLLLLDDD insulation which is falling apart which is on the list.

However... the part that puzzles me is what I've highlighted in the picture, there's about 3 feet or so of area where the sloped ceiling in the bedrooms is attached directly to the 2x6 rafters.

I can slide the ventilation baffles into that space, but since they are 2x6's that's only going to leave around 4" for insulation. What have you guys done to tackle this problem? Do you attach an R13 bat to the baffle and yank it through? Use rigid foam board instead? I know it's usually used for outside projects, but I'm running out of ideas.

knee03.jpg

Call a spray foam insulation company. You will be happy with the results. They can spray in tight spots and once the job is done, you will notice the difference. I am working on an insulation R&R job and I am having my local spray company spray the floor joists. Just make sure you have all of your wiring installed, before they spray. Good Luck.

Thanks. I thought about the spray foam, but decided against it for a couple of reasons, cost being one, but also the fact that I'm not doing the entire attic. If the attic was open and the plaster was down I'd definitely do spray foam and it might happen at some point in the future.

I have customers that have foam in their homes and the cost to heat and cool the house is lower than the homes around them. The next home I build for my self, I will be using foam. The cost of the foam will pay for its self. No idea how long it takes, but all foam contractors say the same thing. Good luck with your project. G

Back