DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decks & Patios > Composite deck

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:03 PM  
DMP66DUKE
Default Composite deck

My house was built in 2001 and there is an original composite deck/patio on the back. I want to add a set of stairs but I have a problem. I don't believe they still make the same color or style composite decking so anything I add will not match. Stupid question but can I paint the old composite material and the new set of stairs to match?

Old 09-03-2014, 05:54 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 3053 Times on 2672 Posts
Likes Given: 5043

When we build stairs to a deck, what ever the deck is we use treated lumber for the staris, leave them until late the next summer when it is mostly dry and they can be stained to match or a contrasting colour match the trim on the house.
Do you need pointers on the stairs?

Old 09-04-2014, 12:29 AM  
DMP66DUKE

I'm good on building the stairs thank you. Just wasn't sure about painting the composite material on the deck. It is a dark brown with a maroon tint but also looks like it is fading. Tough to describe so I'll try to post a picture tomorrow. I'm kind of picky and wanted the new stairs to look like they've always been there. I've looked at composite decking materials at some home improvement store and they don't carry the type I current have. 14 years of improving the product I figure.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:32 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

You need more stringers for that stuff when you use it on stairs. I would think there is likely a paint that would work on it but I haven't seen it.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:01 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMP66DUKE View Post
I'm good on building the stairs thank you. Just wasn't sure about painting the composite material on the deck. It is a dark brown with a maroon tint but also looks like it is fading. Tough to describe so I'll try to post a picture tomorrow. I'm kind of picky and wanted the new stairs to look like they've always been there. I've looked at composite decking materials at some home improvement store and they don't carry the type I current have. 14 years of improving the product I figure.
http://blog.paintquality.com/remodel...mposite-decks/