why condensation in freezing weather (no heat pump)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micky_long

Reaction score
I just starting having a problem with my gas-fired furnace related to condensation. The tube carrying water from the condensate pump seems to be frozen or plugged. I can fix this but wonder why there's as much as multiple gallons of condensation in the lines and now in the pan below the furnace, especially when the temp here in Atlanta has been below freezing for days. I don't appear to have a humidifier installed and it's definitely not a heat pump (assume it would be different in function and appearance than my upstairs unit).

Any help would be appreciated. I need to know if my problem is just the line or am I facing more serious issues.

ML

Hello, Don't know your whole set up there but do you happen to have a 'fresh air intake" bringing in fresh air from outside? If so, with a drop in the cold temps you've been having there that cold air entering and hitting your warm air will condense much more. This crazy weather has a lot of us thinking over time these days. Humidity level in your home? Too much moisture in the air will bring that cold air back to your warm furnance and produce more condensation as well. Check humidity level, they say around 30% is all you want. We actually use a "swing gauge" this is on a string and you swing it around inside your home and it gives you a very good reading on humidity. Humidity in our homes create a lot more issues then people realizes, colds, allergies, window sweating, mold etc. Good Luck, hope this makes sense.;)GregC

Latest posts

Back