DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Garden and Lawncare > How to lay red mulch?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:34 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2914 Times on 2555 Posts
Likes Given: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjohn1324 View Post
What rocks?

Some tell me use fabric, other's say don't. I'm not sure who to listen to.
Fire fuel is kinda frowned on near the house now. We put down gravel of all kinds as well as red lava rock, black lave rock, limestone gravel. Now we are seeing used tires being mulched and painted and used that. But that is back to fuel again although much harder to start a fire.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:01 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1434 Times on 1098 Posts
Likes Given: 774

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Fire fuel is kinda frowned on near the house now. We put down gravel of all kinds as well as red lava rock, black lave rock, limestone gravel. Now we are seeing used tires being mulched and painted and used that. But that is back to fuel again although much harder to start a fire.
The craziest think I see used all over the southeast is pine straw. People pile it up a foot deep around these 500k houses and then they bury crappy lighting cables about 2Ē under that in the clay and then run sprinklers causing shorts in the wires. Once the pine straw catches fire electrical or a careless smoker the whole house is ringed in fire in a couple minutes.

Just like you buy bales of wood mulch down there they bail pine straw.

I agree stone is nice and put the fabric under it. I put fabric under wood mulch years ago and I fought it for 30 years and once the mulch broke down it didnít help with weeds at all.

nealtw Likes This