Best urinal for home use?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papakevin

Reaction score
So I've been considering making a small storage area in my basement a 1/4 bathroom with a urinal and sink for some time and I've about got myself talked into it.

The space is currently unfinished with the master directly above. The main stack for the house is right next to this space and it already has a drain hose connected to the stack for the water softener. I really don't want to jack hammer the floor, so looking for ways to tie into the stack without a lot of work.

My urinal question. Does anyone have any experience with the waterless urinals? There is a Sloan model which seems inexpensive enough (less than $250), but cannot find any reviews on it. Any good recommendations out there? Do waterless urinals stink? This would likely see mild use during the NFL season, little use the rest of the time.

Appreciate any thoughts you may have.

-Kevin

I know you said you don't want to get into the floor, but think of resale value. You or someone will eventually sell the house some day, a half bath is a plus. There's a convenience store chain around here that's going to the waterless urinals, there is an odor to them. Let alone the build up that occurs.

Just my :2cents:

Ok, Sparky, you've got me thinking about it. Since I've never seen one installed, how difficult is it? There is a clean out (3 or 4") which currently is reduced down to act as a drain for an old water softener. Wondering what the pitch would need to be for the toilet to flush properly.

Do you have any experience with installations of this type of toilet? Seems a bit like a crazy idea, but I'm about half nuts, so I might be interested.

I worked for a couple months in an office building that had waterless urinals. There was always a mild odor in the bathroom. The urinal needs to be cleaned often (or at least rinsed) and there is a chemical that needs to be added periodically (I don't know exactly how often) that serves as a floating cover for the trap. For a home, I think I would go with Sparky's idea.

Regarding the waterless urinals there is also a cartridge that needs to replaced above the drain, and since it is going to be hooked up to the plumbing anyway you're not really saving much if anything in the home environment. A urinal would be interesting in a man-cave but I suspect you'd turn off any females when trying to sell the house. They have some kind of weird urinal-phobia. It is just a piece of plumbing, they don't bite. Poorly designed ones can splash back at you though.

With respect to the wall mounted toilets, I haven't installed one. But it shouldn't be much tougher than a floor mounted one. My ex-BIL had one in his log home that he built about 30 years ago. He didn't want to have a ceiling in the first floor bathroom to cover the drain pipe for the second floor toilet. Any good plumber can install one. As far as DIY, I never looked into what's involved but I'm sure with a little Googling you can find installation instructions.

One coupe I know, he wanted a urinal in the basement, she wouldn't here of it. He convinced her they needed a mop sink. The only problem they had was women leaving toilet paper in it.:(

Back