Help with failing ceiling texture

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papakevin

Reaction score
Looking for the best way to fix what is in the photo. Thinking clear or white adhesive then touching it up with drywall mud. It appears to be failing only along the edges, the center is fine. Any suggestions / comments are much appreciated. Thanks.

image-3561730472.jpg

image-4181571704.jpg

Exact same happened with a customer of mine. Their problem began from moisture entering from exterior walls under flashing.... assure the same doesn't exist in this situation.

Steps taken were as follows;
a) scrape failed texture until it reaches an area where current texture is firmly bonded,
b) clean and remove all dust from the area where it was failed,
c) apply PVA primer or acrylic primer to the scraped area yet only lightly coating the area where existing texture is bonded and holding firm (remember wetness will make the old texture plyable if too damp)
d) allow all to dry absolutely thoroughly
e) use a 3/4 nap fuzzy roller and drywall compound to retexture and blend into the existing texture
e1) use long hair brush if necessary to stipple (if necessary)
f) let all dry thoroughly again
g) prime and repaint to match existing ceiling color

Last edited:
Thanks Mighty. This is my repo project which hasn't gone so well. Going to lose money when I sell it, but still want to fix it up right for the person who buys it. The crawl space had quite a bit water standing in it for a number of months (at least 18, probably more) while it was unoccupied and not under any heating or air, so I've been dealing with a lot of moisture issues on this project. Will be glad to see it go.

Thanks Mighty. This is my repo project which hasn't gone so well. Going to lose money when I sell it, but still want to fix it up right for the person who buys it. The crawl space had quite a bit water standing in it for a number of months (at least 18, probably more) while it was unoccupied and not under any heating or air, so I've been dealing with a lot of moisture issues on this project. Will be glad to see it go.

Sounds like you have some water drainage and grading problems which add to the interior moisture problems. We have seen that as a problem over and over for greater interior moisture problems and always fix those first.
:beer:Bob

papakevin: Is this the same house that had water in the crawl space and have you solved that problem yet? It needs to be really dry with good airflow.

Neal, yes unfortunately, the same house. About to get rid of her soon (I hope).

The crawl space is nice and dry, complete with vapor barrier and sump pump just in case. As you can tell, haven't been real motivated to work on it. I am finally going to get rid of it and will be getting new carpet installed in the bedrooms and living room next week, so I'm back interested in it again.

Here's what I found out and ended up doing:

The ceiling texture apparently was put over an existing wallpaper ceiling (or something made of paper). The corners of the textured ceiling were coming off due to the paper separating from itself which I could see when I looked at a large enough piece.

I purchased a couple tubes of white adhesive caulk and applied it around the edge of the room to reattach the ceiling texture. I originally thought it could be done with a caulk gun, but was wrong. Instead I used the gun to spread the adhesive caulk and then using some cheap throw away plastic coated gloves, spread it around and into the surface which bonded it back.

My assumption is that because the structure sat vacant for a period of time with heavy moisture, it allow the outside edge of the ceiling to suck up some moisture, causing the paper to separate. Seems like this plan worked well for now.

Seems like this plan worked well for now.
Hopefully it stays put, atleast you know what you have there.

Back