GE Profile PB975SP3SS range: one of the rings not heating

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaz

Reaction score
I have a GE Profile PB975SP3SS range that's about 6 years old. It has a 3-ring element, and we noticed that the middle ring is not heating. Questions:
1. Is this a complicated fix? Does this require replacing a part?
2. Whatever needs to be done, can it be done without moving the range, i.e. accessing it from the front not from the back? The reason for asking is that if I remember correctly from our kitchen renovation, it was pretty hard to squeeze it between the two pieces of the countertop so it might be hard to move it out.

You'll have to disconnect the power to work on it either unplug it or at the breaker. Better to unplug which prevents someone from flipping the breaker on while you're working on it.
Look at this link. There are a couple videos. Seems it's a pretty easy project.

http://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts/a13b3d859346/Model-PB975SP3SS-GE-Range-Stove-Oven-Parts

Don't know if this is your element but watch the repair video.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDet...2?modelNumber=PB975SP3SS&ss=a13b3d859346&mr=1

After watching a couple of YouTube videos, I decided to try figuring out if the element needs to be replaced. Pulled up the top, marked various contacts 1 through 6, then decided to check continuity with a multimeter. Got a beep between 4 and the unmarked contact next to it, but nothing with 4 against 1, 2, or 3. Am I doing it right? Of the 3 coils, the outermost and innermost work, the middle one does not.

Also, what do I need to do to take the element off. I see these two brackets, but when I tried to remove them, they would not budge. Do I need to pry them off with a screwdriver or pull them off with pliers or something else entirely?

Finally, when I looked up the part number for replacement, I found a bunch of similar looking coils with different part numbers. How compatible are they? Which exact part would I need?

And one more thing: if the coil is cracked, is it possible to fix it instead of replacing it?

Thx

IMG_9596.jpg

IMG_9598.jpg

IMG_9599.jpg

IMG_9600.jpg

Back