Reinstall commode on comprimised slab

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeydooo

Reaction score
I have removed the oak solid surface hardwood floors from my 5'x5' half bathroom because of a termite infestation... I am now putting my toilet on the slab until I can get back to the tile of the bathroom floor and walls.

Project History:
I found my flange was never mounted to my slab - probably because the slab was chipped away to fit the offset flange. I had hand scraped solid surface oak floors installed about 10 years ago. When the floor was installed nearly thought the 1st floor (except laundry and kitchen), the installers spread a black tar type solution, rolled out some plastic, use 3/4 plywood as subfloor and finally the 3/4 in of the hand scraped oak... and they double wax ringed the commode to the flange and used VERY long bolts. It was not initially apparent but the offset flange was not mounted to the slab. The commode began to pull up on the 4" drain pipe. Because of the off set, the toilet's pull on the drain line created uneven pull on the flange... and the bowl began to leak. Previously, The commode was very rarely used... but all it took was once... It began to secretly leak between the hardwood and slab. This went on for years unnoticed. Eventually, I was infested with termites. I have since resolved the termite issue. Now that I office at the house, this restroom is a necessity for ME, it will prevent me from having to run upstairs several times a day....

My intentions are to eventually tile the floor and about 40" up the wall (I have a wall outlet at 42" from the slab and my freestanding vanity is 36" + 1 1/2" back splash tall), then plaster the rest. I cant get a decision on the tile choice. You guys know what I'm talking about here.... So until she makes a decision, I just want a working commode at this point. I would like a level transition from the hardwood. But this would require I build up the floor (though, like the hardwood installer, I can router a piece of the oak flooring into a round over, which I have at the kitchen - not a big fan of how that turned out). I expect to either...
1.extend the flange once, I do the tiling which may be over a year from now - she wants to include the master bath in the tileing.....
2. build up a small platform to allow for the eventual finished floor.
Some comments of concern on that solution would also be appreciated.

Currently:
It appears I will need to cut away some of my slab in order to properly mount the new flange. I have attached a few images for review.
I don’t mind the work… I want this done right rather than easy.
1.If I cut this concrete away, how large of a area should I cut out, and should I go the entire 6” depth of the slab?
2. If I just fill in the concrete, and use a concrete backer board over the slab... will this be strong enough to mount the commode to?

Another area of concern for me to resolve is the wall behind the commode. If you look at the picture closely (underneath my yellow level) you can see where they missed the chalk line by 2". Now my my sink drain is not contained within the wall space. I will have to fur out the entire wall a full inch to square up the bathroom wall. Once I fur out the wall, mount the backer board, set and lay the tile, I'm going to loose nearly 2" of clearance behind my "UNIVERSAL-RUNDLE #4295 commode. I believe this bowl has a 12" rough-in requirement. Furring this wall out, may shrink my rough-in down to 11.5"... I'm hoping this will be enough. I really do not want to dig out my sink drain and turn is back within the proper wall space.

The last issue is mounting the commode within the remaining 23" of wall space.
Centering the commode on the residual space will place the center of the commode within 12" of the wall. which is way out of code.
Placing the commode 15" from the adjacent wall will place the commode nearly up against the basin vanity... though the vanity is curved and not interfere with the use of the commode.
The only way to get the commode within code, is to reduce the sink basin down to 24".

Sorry for such a long read, I am looking forward your insight.

Thank all of you in advance

Hall Bath 1.jpg

Hall Bath 2.jpg

Hall Bath 3.jpg

Last edited:
Cut out a cardboard shape of the toilet and and look for a better location. Like the wall facing the door or evan in the corner facing the vanity.

Back