Basement Leak Repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonH

Reaction score
My landlord used Henry 209, a roofing tar, to patch up a crack along the basement wall that was leaking. After sealing it they put drywall back up. However, now there is a toxic odor emitting from the wall now and I am afraid it is going to endager my health as well as the other adult and child that reside with me. In the data sheet it clearly states that this is for exterior use only which I explained to them but they refuse to admit fault nor will they remove the tar and replace it with something else.
Does anybody know if this is toxic even when the smell disappears or do you have any other advice?

Thanks for any help!

Clearly they have used the wrong product to fix the issue. I would suggest either looking for another place or put half the rent in and escrow account until the problem is fixed. If he feels that the fumes aren't a problem then invite him to spend a few nites in the basement.

It will at some point stop off gassing and be less noticeable.

Call your local health department and ask them. Then hang on. G

I called the health department and they said they do not get involved in landlord/tenant disputes.

The smell has gotten less noticeable but it's still there and I do not know if there are any unoticeable vapors in the room which is my concern with a 2yr old child.

we use it all the time HOWEVER they were patching the wrong side - we ONLY use it on exterior walls where wtr must be stopped,,, the wtr is still infiltrating the wall - you may wish to explain this to those idiots,,, it will eventually stop offgassing but, for best results, should have had a plastic 6mil patch applied over it for odor control... that being said, don't be surprised if the wtr returns.

asphalt is not toxic unless you eat it for either appetizer, entree, or dessert - as an intermezzo, its not all that appealing either :rofl: right product - wrong method :trophy:

JasonH going to you can get a copy of the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for the 209 right from Henry's site. Follow the link and select technical literature. That should contain any information you need regarding effects of contact with fumes, material itself, etc. Hope this helps. 209
Cheers,
ChrisFixit

Back