Repairing pocorn ceiling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmh1221

Reaction score
After re-wiring for new lighting, I have a few very small holes (about 1" diameter) in my popcorn ceiling in several rooms (popcorn is small and tight). I have successfully painted them over the years using a roller with no problem. I had a painter in to give me an estimate on patching these small holes. Although he hasn't responded yet, what he is suggesting seems like overkill: He will cover all the walls and floors in the rooms with plastic liner and spray the areas with popcorn patch. (He says under no circumstance should anyone paint this type ceiling with a roller, tho I have done so & the ceilings are perfect.) His approach would be a big job, considering these are just small holes, a couple in each room. Can't this be done without going to all that trouble and what I assume will be considerable expense? I would think just filling and applying popcorn patch material on these small areas would suffice. Am I missing something or does he need the money for an expensive vacation? Thanks in advance for your help.

Try looking at the big box stores for the spray on texture patch. They come in something like 8oz spray cans. They are around $8 per can and by the sounds of things you'd probably need just 1 can to do all the patches. Of course you will want to experiment/practice to get the right look before you launch into doing the actual repair. I imagine "feathering in" the patch with the existing texture is going to be the biggest difficulty.

I also used a roller to paint my popcorn ceiling. You do end up knocking off any loose pieces, and sometimes it is tough to fill in all the "pores", but I found that walking around with a halogen torch light afterwards would really light up the ceiling and show you where you needed to touch up. Of course it was quite literally a Pain In The Neck:(

Good luck. I doubt you need to fund someone else's vacation account for a job like you describe.

Thanks Kerrylib. Actually I never had to patch after painting my ceilings. My guess is the previous owner had primed & painted before me. Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I'll just patch these myself. The take MYSELF on a vacation. Have a great day.

Most often I go about it in this manner: If the holes are large enough to need patching ay an inch or two in diameter they can probably be filled by cratering them, in other words shallowing them out around the edge with a utility knife, then light scrape the surface around the hole to kind of feather the texture a little. then fill the whole with a few applications of patching plaster. This sets very quickly allowing you to refill without waiting overnight or even hours. Usually the second coat will be enough to fill the vouid quite well. THe second coat will be even to the feathered area. Go the the BIG Box store and find the spray can of popocorn spray that matches you type of texture. Front of can gives a good representation of end result . Runs about $11.00 in my area. IN THE SAME PAINT DEPT PICK UP A WHITE HOODED COVERALL SUIT!! YOU'LL NEED IT! and a pack of cheap throw away plastic drop cloths. Put down a drop under the area you are repairing and make sure it cover out quite aways. I like to use paper drop cloths or rosin paper on the floor. Now tack up plastic drops to the ceiling in a 2X2 or 3X3 foot square around the area to be sprayed. Suit up in your coveralls, Read the directions on the can shake shake shake shake shake and spray as directed. Watch the snow fall!! Remove drops when done.

the spray on stuff is nasty to get out of carpet so be careful you don't step in it too

as for not painting popcorn ceiling they make special paint and rollers for that specifically wonder if that guy was even licensed for that sort of work. my ex father in law was going to have some work done and the best bid he got was from a guy who claimed to be a plumber he had a contractors license for concrete work that's it.

Latest posts

Back