Looking for a specific type of dimmer switch

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCMars

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find a dimmer switch where in the middle it's off, up is high, and down is low? Here's an image to better illustrate how the switch would control the light it's wired to.

I know they used to make these, but I've been unable to find them at any hardware stores. Any help in locating these would be much appreciated!

dimmerSwitch_upHigh-middleOff-downLow.png

That was probably a mechanical switch and probably wasn't a dimmer at all; just a three position switch. A dimmer will have a continuous ramp from off to full power.
Will the switch you're looking for be performing a specific function that a normal dimmer can't handle?

That is a "break before make" switch which allows the "Off" to be in the middle. Why would you want such as antiquated switch when other, more modern devices are available?

That was probably a mechanical switch and probably wasn't a dimmer at all; just a three position switch.
You're right! With some more searching along these lines, it appears to be just a three position switch (3 Position Center Off). Thanks!

Back