Metal carports...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockrz

Reaction score
OK, so we are thinking of getting one of those metal carport structures installed over our drive way. The house we are in is a rental, but the landlord has authorized this installation so that's all good.

Turns out, the city requires a permit and in order to get this I have to submit some sort of drawings the lady at the city said would have come with the house when it was purchased.

I don't want to bother the landlord in asking them for this lest they change their mind since people frequently say things are too much trouble if it means any effort is required on their end...

So, aren't plans like this available from the city where I can pay a fee and get official drawings of the property that way?

And, if so... once obtained do I contact the company that does the metal carport structures and have them assist with drawing the carport on there so this can be submitted for a permit?

Any ideas about all this would be appreciated.

The house didn't necessarily come with a set of drawings. She's probably referring to the plot plan which shows where the property boundry lines are and the location of the house and such on it.
They would want that to make sure that you would be complying with local building codes when doing your project. Setbacks and such.
A plot plan comes when a house is surveyed. There may have been one done and your landlord may have a copy, but many houses are bought and sold without an actual survey, and with just the information on the deed.

Isn't that survey available to be purchased down at city hall?

I was just trying to prevent having to ask the landlord for this in the event it is too much trouble and they change their mind about letting me do this.

Yes, city ordinance requires it to be at least 15 feet from the street.

Not usually. Surveys are done by outside contractors. You should ask the city what they actually require and would a hand drawing by you be enough, given that you're just adding something over an existing driveway. I would also think that if it's considered temporary vs permanent, that would make a difference.
You should see if you can talk with the Building Inspector.

Seems like this would be something that is filed with the city and would be public knowledge right along with the deed to the home which is public knowledge.

I already asked them and they say they require "drawings" that came with the home when it was purchased, so I'm assuming me drawing something isn't going to work for them.

So, maybe I'll find some professionally done drawings online of a house / property layout that is similar to where I'm at and see if I can draw the car port on to that with measurements with the help of the company selling / erecting the car port and maybe that will work.

Anybody have any idea where I can find some generic plans online that are in PDF?

The last 2 houses I've owned didn't have anything other than a description on the deed when I purchased them. I eventually had surveys done on both for my own use. Just ask the owner if he has one. Something off the web isn't going to help because it's not of your house. You could go to your Tax Assessor's office and have them look up the house. They might have something there.

Last edited:
Well, if the layout looks similar I'll remove specific info from the drawing to make it look generic... since they just want something to show exactly where the carport is going to be positioned.

The paper you are looking for will have an official city stamp on it. Some cities keep a record of these and may be able to print a copy, maybe a different department.

OK, thanks That's what I was thinking that this would be public knowledge or at least able to be accessed at city hall if a fee is paid and you have a good reason for needing it.

When you buy a house the morgage company sometimes asks to see this and if you can not get your hands on it, it is survey time.

Well, I'm not paying for a survey on a rental property... I'll just find a generic drawing somewhere that looks similar and remove much of the measurements except for the ones pertaining to the car port which is all they actually need.

You do realize that if you get a permit and marke what looks like a permenent addition, you do not take it with you when you leave.

Well, I'm not paying for a survey on a rental property... I'll just find a generic drawing somewhere that looks similar and remove much of the measurements except for the ones pertaining to the car port which is all they actually need.

i think that is called fraud or some other thing....

they are not asking for a plot drawing of the neighbors house
the are asking for a drawing of that property. anything else submitted under your landlords name will be a crime.
YOU, can not submit changes to HIS property.
watch yourself, you could be getting yourself into where you do not want to be

contact your landlord, ASK permission, then proceed from their.

You do realize that if you get a permit and marke what looks like a permenent addition, you do not take it with you when you leave.

It's not going to be presented as a permanent addition to the house, but a temporary structure.

I doubt one of these would require a permit, and you can take it with you when it's time to go
http://www.portablegaragedepot.com/

I already emailed the city and a permit is actually required... they have to make money off the citizens of the town somehow ya know.

i think that is called fraud or some other thing....

they are not asking for a plot drawing of the neighbors house
the are asking for a drawing of that property. anything else submitted under your landlords name will be a crime.
YOU, can not submit changes to HIS property.
watch yourself, you could be getting yourself into where you do not want to be

contact your landlord, ASK permission, then proceed from their.

None of that is even remotely close to being true... and I have asked for and received permission from my landlord. I have a string of emails where they asked me several questions about this including will I remove it when I move IF the new tenant does not want it which I said I would do.

I'm simply referring to a drawing that looks just like the layout of this house / lot in which I will remove the measurements from except for the ones pertaining to the carport, thus making it a generic drawing that focuses on the carport only.

This would be submitted as temporary... I'll write that on the drawing so even college educated people can understand it ;)

Last edited:
sounds like a whole lotta BS hoop jumping to me.....those carports are not what i would consider a permanent structure.

'round here...just put it up.

damn i love where i live!!!!!!

It's not permanent... but they still require a permit to prevent rednecks from putting up garbage that is unsafe and looks like crap.

Down here, there's a big problem with rednecks

Those plat plans are a matter of public record and anyone can walk in and get a copy on anyone's property.
If fact I just got back from the tax office and picked one up for one of my houses so we can get plans drawn for a new septic system.
But as mentioned depending on how old the house is it may be pretty vage.
All there looking for is the set back from road, property lines, power lines and height of the new building.

kewL... that's what I'm hoping for is to be able to go down there and obtain this from city hall

Latest posts

Back