Want to track down problem with half of my old house wiring out

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just talked to an oldtimer who installed these things. He said a 60amp service had 60 amp main fuses and 30 amp stove fuse when they changed to 100 amp service the stove was wired in serries and the stove was wired with #3 wire with 60 amp fuses and the main fuses were still 60 amps and the two boxes looked the same. The later, the stove would still have power when the main fuses were pulled. He ended the conversation with " I THINK"

I have not had any problems since I changed the 30 amp fuses to 15 amp.Saying that, I am not running or plugging in anything extra either until I get an upgrade.The previous owner had a set of 30 amp sitting nearby so we put them in when we had the pool filter cord short out and we lost power to the garage and front room.i also tried to replace the 30 amp with another 30 amp in the slot for front room power and it blew the fuse even cracked the glass front of it.Although when I put a 15 amp in its place it has worked fine since,a bit scary I agree.

When the first problem happened, it blew a fifteen amp fuse or a 30? Perhaps the fuse that blew right away already had a crack?
Do you have a ground wire in the plugs or just 2 prong plugs?

The whole house is all two prong plugs and the wife just popped in whatever fuse was laying around available ,I was gone away working for two months at a time so When I came home I think I bought 30 amp to replace what the previous owner had in there already really can't remember for sure.

So I guess if the 15 amp fuses are working, the only time the wires were overloaded was with the pool filter. The fact that something stopped working in the fuse box at the same time was likely a blessing. I would still open up the plugs between the panel and the garage on that line and just look for any signs of heat dammage. The other thing I would do is change the first plug on that line to gfi plug. That would protect the kids at the pool, they don't need a ground wire to work. I would also change the stove fuses to 40 amp, 60 amps there is just pushing your luck.
While you are thinking about upgrading, the electric company will want the new meter to be within a few feet of the front of the house on the side, just another expence if it has to be moved.

Back