Repairing plaster cracks

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novice101

Reaction score
I'm repairing plaster cracks in my walls and ceiling. Do I need to fill the crack first with caulk then cover with mesh tape and apply joint compound. The wall is solid and is not lose. I have been just cleaning out the crack and then just cover it with fiberglass tape then joint compound, three applications.
Also I have a large crack (separation) between the wall and the ceiling. 2 to 3 cm. How do I repair this problem?

I'm repairing plaster cracks in my walls and ceiling. Do I need to fill the crack first with caulk then cover with mesh tape and apply joint compound. The wall is solid and is not lose. I have been just cleaning out the crack and then just cover it with fiberglass tape then joint compound, three applications.
Also I have a large crack (separation) between the wall and the ceiling. 2 to 3 cm. How do I repair this problem?

If you are repairing "plaster", instead of drywall, then by all means you a tape for the repairs.

I don't use the tape on minor cracks in drywall, I chamfer the cracks with a "V" tool which provides a broader adhesion surface and apply 5 min. dry mix joint compound, and seldom more than 2 applications. a little wet sanding, prime and paint.

:welcome: to the site

You don't need tape on the fine cracks. Just use a bit of pressure on the knife to squeeze the mud in. If it's too fine for that, you can open it a bit like snoonyb said, or frankly they might be fine enough to just fill with paint when you paint the wall. The crack where wall meets ceiling requires the tape. And the method depends on the kind of tape you're using. The self-sticking mesh is a good choice. Cover the crack with the tape, and then apply the mud.
Getting it to look good without leaving a mound on the wall requires a little practice.

I tape every crack I don’t want to come back. I have found in old plaster the hair line cracks will go away with mud and paint only to return. If you are going to take the time to widen the crack then you still have to mud over it and you might as well tape it. I don’t widen the crack on fine cracks just tape and skim using mesh tape. A wide crack like in the corner I will go along first and fill it with mud and then tape it then more mud. If you bridge the gap with tape some mud will get thru the holes in the tape but you won’t have more than 1/8 behind the tape and it can crack. Same with larger holes I put some in the hole then the mesh then more mud. :welcome:

Latest posts

Back