Sunroom siding built with MDF /no flashing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aj007

Reaction score
I have a sunroom on my home where the builder, Richmond America, used MDF with no flashing at the top of the 1x6 boards to prevent water from seeping down into the inside walls. We footed an expensive bill, so I had to ask a question to the pro's if this is a common issue? And,what other actions should I take to ensure other poor workmanship doesn't appear anywhere else around the home? I attached a photo of reference, thanks a bunch.

photo_1-2.jpg

Welcome to the site and sorry about your mess.
This what is done here and I think it is the same in many areas now.
The windows are installed with what the call rain screening which allows any moisture to get out below the windows
And for flashing check out detail 8.1
Flashing over or under windows has the ends folded up so wind can't blow water off the side.
http://www.mtcc1170.com/images/BCRainScreen.pdf

The board with all the blue circles should be sloped down I think at 15*
There should be a flashing just above the windows and just above the boards above the windows as well as the boards you circled in red.
The link also shows strapping on the wall, that is for solid siding , not required for vinyl siding.

I have a sunroom on my home where the builder, Richmond America, used MDF with no flashing at the top of the 1x6 boards to prevent water from seeping down into the inside walls. We footed an expensive bill, so I had to ask a question to the pro's if this is a common issue? And,what other actions should I take to ensure other poor workmanship doesn't appear anywhere else around the home? I attached a photo of reference, thanks a bunch.

When was this built?
Was it permitted?
Is there a warranty?

Thank for the responses! Home was built in 2004 and permitted by state of Virginia--which is surprising provided the many defects in workmanship we have found. We do have a home warranty, but it doesn't cover this particular issue. My concern is that by coming into contact with this kind of workmanship on the sunroom, I may need someone to inspect my home.

What would you all recommend on my next steps? I am not a pro, so I am not quite sure what the proper process would be in this case.

If it were mine all that would be removed, inspected for water damage rot and mold or? to the sheeting and framing and re-done properly. But for you, you will have do as much research as you can so you know what should be done, discuss all the details with a new contractor or a few contractors until you have a good one and then set up camp and make sure it is all done to your specs.
Any of the contractors should be able to print out the code they follow and if you want we can give you an opinion on those.

Thank for the responses! Home was built in 2004 and permitted by state of Virginia--which is surprising provided the many defects in workmanship we have found. We do have a home warranty, but it doesn't cover this particular issue. My concern is that by coming into contact with this kind of workmanship on the sunroom, I may need someone to inspect my home.

What would you all recommend on my next steps? I am not a pro, so I am not quite sure what the proper process would be in this case.

Unfortunately unless this a tract of homes with a similar list of issues, which may have initiated a class action suite, you may well be left to your own devices.

You would be well advised to ask for the names of reputable builders at your local lumber yards, other than the big boxes.

Although these kind of issues may not be visible unless you open things up, a home inspection is a good idea. Someone paid for his time with no skin in the game is often the best source for information.

Thank you for the advice. I will keep both of these suggestions in mind. Now its onto suffering, lol, cheers!

If you have had water in the house, this is not something you want to think about for years. Evan done wrong the house wrap should protect the sheeting and I suspect it has failed also.
Good luck.

Latest posts

Back